Le Mans 1965

JohnD

Note the rear tail lamps - Type L549 - smaller, neater cheaper and more secure than the OEM Type L672  ... oh dear ... this sounds awfully nerdy! ... however the type the Lemans Cars ran are less prone to being knocked & broken as you squeeze by the tail of your wee Spitfire as she's crowded into the garage !

I'm such a sad git I've watched that film about 5 times. Anyone wishing to be uncharitable would point out that they finished 2nd-from-last and last, behind an MGB and Sebring Sprite. But the prototype Sprite was a 1300 and only finished 4 laps ahead, and the Spitfires were the smallest-engined cars to finish. So I will continue telling people that Spitfires finished 1st and 2nd in their class, but gloss over the rest of the story. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Hey.... don’t knock ‘em. 2 out of 3 finished when 3/4 of the field failed and the one that didn’t was crashed not broken down!

Pretty bloody good in my book :smile:

Sorry, it was affectionate knocking! I'd read a few references to the famous 1st & 2nd in class, then felt a bit deflated when I looked up the full results.

It was still a great achievement, clocking over 130mph in a 1147cc Spitfire and averaging 96mph for 24 hours, ye gods!