Sign in to follow this  
RogerH

Garage Clear out 2

Hi Folks,

I didn't want to hi-jack johns weighty thread but I have to tell somebody about my garage clear out.

Over the winter my workshop/garage had an infestation of mice type rodents. I ended up with apprx 15 of the blighters.

In an effort to rid them I put down a great number of moth balls. An idiot told me mice don;t like moth balls. Utter rubbish. I' sure they were playing footy with them.

Anyway about a month ago Sue spotted a rat type rodent scurrying down the alley way - I put some rat poison down (safely).

Last  week a very pungent dying smell arose from the workshop. It got stronger over the week.

Today I decided to carefully and slowly (I'm still recovering for an op) empty the workshop and clean all the surfaces, again, and find the dead/decaying thing.

I had to lift the tumble dryer off the washing machine to clean behind. After I put that back I started to clear a shelf of bottles.

I happened to turn and my nose passed by a number of bags Contains pegs, onions and spuds. These were removed.

I eventually got to the last bag - WOW - the pong was 'orrid. I had found the source and was fully expecting to find an ex-rat, a deceased rodent, .

But no I found a bag of putrefying spuds - Maris Piper to be precise.   Why they had ended up at the bottom Sue does not know (her area)

Roger  

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

An idiot told me mice don;t like moth balls. Utter rubbish. I' sure they were playing footy with them.

:laugh::laugh:  Sorry....... if I had been drinking tea...... it would be all over the keyboard.

15 rodents......! I know we have a few (?!) as things in the loft get chewed sometimes (they leave the bait and traps alone though).  We had one running around the floor in daylight recently and then Chris stood on it...... splat.... mouse rug.  Not quite sure what he intended but not that.  Yes, rotting spuds are one of the worlds worst smells.  I sold some pumps to a potato processing plant once - I'll be more careful in the future :sick:

Congrats on being well enough for such exertions so soon - just don't overdo it -  you don't want any more :nurse: 

Had mice move into the garage one winter in Surrey where I used to keep the TR. Alerted by a chewed leather gear knob. Closer inspection revealed a pair of leather gloves in tatters and various chunks out of carpet and seat edging! Its the protein they're after. Traps and chocolate (Galaxy from recollection) worked for me. Here is the first of several hauls.

Rats are something else. Absolutely loathe them. Much prefer rotting spuds!. Living in London you are never more than a few metres from rats at anytime I believe. Had to give up feeding birds in the rear garden some years as it encouraged them. B****y sight more cunning than mice. Had them in the house a couple of times in recent years. Got one with a sticky pad after forcing it into a dead end where going over the pad was the only way out one evening. Dead on the pad in the morning and a big b****r too. Managed to 'direct' the other out of the bifold doors into the rear garden. .

Peanut butter is attractive to rats and they do not like pure peppermint oil, but you need gallons of the stuff to effectively deter them. Jack Russell is the answer if you can get them in a confined location. The dog's instinct to catch and shake the rodent is extraordinary

+1 with Nick on taking it easy Roger, even if that mantra is getting a bit boring.

Miles

IMG_2733.jpg

Hi Miles,

I recognise those little devils. I bought a number of different traps but it was the 'little Nipper'  that worked wonders.

Rger

Very effective trap the little nipper - if a bit fond of human fingers.  Takes a delicate touch to set them!  I've got a couple but also some plastic "rentokil" ones which are much easier to set without personal injury and are also effective.

Get. A. Cat!!

The down side is that they want to show you their trophies, and if you're not there to admire and praise their exploit, they leave the evidence, usually dismembered in some prominent  or worse, unprominent place.      Even worse, or rather, counter productive, is that they like to play with their tropies, which are often kept alive for the purpose.    And escape, as domestic cats are just doing it for kicks and giggles, not because they are hungry.

The best trap I've found in this situation is a humane trap!    

Rentokil Live Capture Mouse Trap (Pack of 2) | Homebase

It looks like a stalking scorpion, but when left some where, the mouse enters, goes to the bait at the far end, tips it to raise the front end and the door closes.    Voila!    But when the little blighter is running around the skirting board, looking for a way out, the dark opening looks just like a refuge and exit.     You can hold the trap in your hand, while 'encouraging' the pest with other and it will run straight in!

I don't advocate feeding the trapped vermin back to the cat, as they are just as likely to lose interest as to sink fangs in its neck, so let it go again, well away from the house.

In my early days as a homeowner we had mice. In the kitchen. They were brazen and would run about while we were sat there. They were also rather dim and easily caught using a homemade humane trap. I even caught a couple by hand - or maybe the same one twice......

....... as fairly quickly the light dawned that we were recycling mice. One in particular had a short tail (mark of a previous mishap) and was thus recognisable.  Others were marked with nail varnish. Trials showed that merely taking them up the garden meant they’d be back in the house nearly as quick as you were. 1/4 mile up the lane didn’t slow things much either.  I bought a couple of “Little Nippers”. That did it.

We used to have 2 cats. A new mouse everyday, usually dead and left by there cat bowls.
Occasionally they would bring in live one that then started to live under the kitchen cupboards. 
One ate a couple of control cables in the dishwasher, didnt kill it but did kill the dishwasher (taking a Bosch machine to bit is fun..). Another died on the compressor under the fridge, that was smelly.

In the end we kept a couple of humane traps loaded with sunflower seeds and that seemed to catch them. 
Only one cat now (Wally the one on the left) and the next door hens have gone so not so many mice around. 
Our cats were amazing hunters, I watched them work together to try to get a pigeon, they did a pincer movement around our pond to attack the pigeon!

Wally is now 12 years old so fewer mice.

Mike

Image may contain: cat, table and indoor

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

In my early days as a homeowner we had mice. In the kitchen. They were brazen and would run about while we were sat there. They were also rather dim and easily caught using a homemade humane trap. I even caught a couple by hand - or maybe the same one twice......

....... as fairly quickly the light dawned that we were recycling mice. One in particular had a short tail (mark of a previous mishap) and was thus recognisable.  Others were marked with nail varnish. Trials showed that merely taking them up the garden meant they’d be back in the house nearly as quick as you were. 1/4 mile up the lane didn’t slow things much either.  I bought a couple of “Little Nippers”. That did it.

Yup, been there, done that! Was field mice for us, being rural. They eat brick walls and cement! Plastic. Cardboard. Wood. And of course, food.

We started with humane traps. Then tried poison. Bad idea, when they die in the bloody wall!! Then proper traps (like "Little Nippers").

Eventually, we resorted to John's advice -

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Get. A. Cat!!

The down side is that they want to show you their trophies, and if you're not there to admire and praise their exploit, they leave the evidence, usually dismembered in some prominent  or worse, unprominent place. 

The answer to "presents", get a dog! They like the presents, and make good Hoover's!

Phil

Next door has a cat, that was a stray.   She's called Diana, the Huntress!      They have woodburners and so a big outdoor woodpile, that used to be alive with mice and voles.  No longer!   More, we are 200yds from a canal, and rats used to be seen about.    Again, no longer!

My cat, Lionel, used to bring in rats, but his source has dried up since Diana moved in.     She not only likes to disply her prey, but does so on command!  They had visitors, who said what a nice, pretty, friendly little cat she was, and were told of her prowess, whereupon she went out and came back, with a dead rat.

Cats understand English, they just choose not to speak it!