Hi

I have a MkII GT6 bought many years ago with 5.5J x 13" Supaslot-type wheels and 165/70 tyres. I have always had a problem with rubbing on the rear wheel arches but never really known why. Having finally investigated, I think I now know: the offset of the wheels appears to be only 9mm, leading them to project too far. Before I go in search of new wheels, I just wanted to check (a) that I'm correct in identifying the problem, and (b) there isn't another solution. Thanks.

Sounds correct. I have seen wolfies which are similar and stick out too far. Correct offset will move the tyre in and stop the rubbing.

Agree. May be possible to gain enough by rolling the arches if it’s just a lighting rub but 9mm.....

Surprised you don’t have a problem at the front too?

I have some old 5.5 dunlop steels 175 70 tyres, they fitted my mk3 Spit but rubbed gt6 mk2 rear arches. Roto flex suspension with mk2/3 rear wings combination appear tighter for space, than the gt6 mk3/spit mk4 style rear wings. Never compared measurements, just my observation.

Edited by Mark

Rich 

I ran 5.5Jx13 Superslots on my Mk2 with 175/70 tyres and yes twas pretty tight front and rear. Clearances varied with different tyres.

Post 2011 rebuild I changed to new reproduction Revolutions and sold the Superslots.

IIRC, I calculated that the Superslots had an ET of +11mm. The Revolutions are ET +25mm, which is too much (despite some getting away with it) and needed a 5mm spacer on the front to clear the top wishbone and a similar spacer on the rears to bring them out further in the arches. Photo attached.

My conclusion would be that an ET of +15-17 would be ideal, but not sure if anything is directly available with that offset. Others may be able advise if you are considering a change.

(PS it was also tight with the 5.5 Dunlop steels that came with the car in 1977 - shame I sold then cos they would be worth a bit now)

Ian 

DSC_3694.JPG

Thanks for all the quick replies. The front has always been fine Nick; however, as 175/70 seems the most popular tyre size currently, if I wanted to go down that route I suppose it might cause problems there, and wouldn't work at all on the rears. Looks like I need to go shopping for new wheels.

One further question: as I need to sell the current wheels, any ideas what car they might fit?

Mk4 Spit (the shorter axle ones) and Mk3 GT6 (the rotoflex ones, not the swing spring ones)) have much roomier rear arches.  Also Marina maybe.  Will be too wide for Dolomite.

How much do they catch on your arches by - it is just the return lip?

16 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Mk4 Spit (the shorter axle ones) and Mk3 GT6 (the rotoflex ones, not the swing spring ones)) have much roomier rear arches.  Also Marina maybe.  Will be too wide for Dolomite.

How much do they catch on your arches by - it is just the return lip?

Thanks Nick. Yes, just catches the lip (I think) on bumps, dips and uneven road surfaces.