Steve 13-60

are triumph engines really this rough?

Oil cooler without thermostat is just going to stop the oil getting hot, and give you sludge instead. If you do decide to fit the cooler, I'd say a thermostat is essential. I'd also suggest that oil pressure at idle is a fairly meaningless figure, especially if your idle is set lowish. What kind of pressure are you seeing around say 3000 rpm?

Happy to see progress is being made, already sounds a lot better after your tweaks. By the way, one massive source of noise in a Herald/Vitesse are the windows rattling if the runners are worn out. As you say, the construction does lend to them being not being the most quiet of cars...

21 minutes ago, Steve 13-60 said:

Folk recon a cooler isnt really needed, but I'm concerned about driving on the autobahn at 60mph for hours on end.

I'd say on a 1500 a cooler is essential if the car is going to do long hard miles. Not to boost oil pressure on new oil, but to prevent the oil over-heating and degrading quickly. On a 1300? No big deal, on a 1500 - essential, unless the car is a "pottering to a concourse show" type classic.

31 minutes ago, JumpingFrog said:

Oil cooler without thermostat is just going to stop the oil getting hot, and give you sludge instead. If you do decide to fit the cooler, I'd say a thermostat is essential. I'd also suggest that oil pressure at idle is a fairly meaningless figure, especially if your idle is set lowish. What kind of pressure are you seeing around say 3000 rpm?

Happy to see progress is being made, already sounds a lot better after your tweaks. By the way, one massive source of noise in a Herald/Vitesse are the windows rattling if the runners are worn out. As you say, the construction does lend to them being not being the most quiet of cars...

At 3000 its around 40 psi, not too bad TBH.

But the task for that engine is just to get me to berlin. Then it'll be a door stop!

Done the window seals, but still plenty of rattles to cure. But that'll be on assembly after the body off resto.  Done as much welding as I can here but need to get it in my garage for the rest....like inner rear wheel arches.

37 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

I'd say on a 1500 a cooler is essential if the car is going to do long hard miles. Not to boost oil pressure on new oil, but to prevent the oil over-heating and degrading quickly. On a 1300? No big deal, on a 1500 - essential, unless the car is a "pottering to a concourse show" type classic.

This...... I broke a couple proving it.