The Kastner Cup, online!

JohnD

All,

Just heard from the US about the SVRA (Sportscar Vintage Racing Association) Mobile App!    https://svra.com/svra-mobile-app/

Hooray!   It's the Kastner Cup next weekend, and this means I can watch it, even if I'm only there in spirit!   

But Booo!     Only Apple iPhone and Google Android versions are available.    My Android mobile has a tiny screen (and a tiny memory, although recently improved thanks to members here!).     Is there a way of watching the live streaming of the races on my desktop?   

John 

Hi John,

I'm surprised you have to download the app to watch - wonder if they'll live-stream on their Youtube channel? Looks like they do other events on there: https://www.youtube.com/user/SVRAcom

Alternatively, if you haven't got the technology to 'cast' your mobile screen onto your telly (smart TV should have the ability) you could dabble with an Android emulator on your desktop. That would let you download the mobile app onto your PC. Not something I've used for years but there's a summary here: https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-emulators-for-pc-655308/

I'll certainly have a look at youtube over the weekend and see if I can catch any of it.

Pete

Thank you, Pete!  The Virtual Drivers' meeting is already online there at 

with a greeting from the president (of the SVRA!) and detailed instructions from the Race Director.      The Pres was very proud of the SVRA's initiative this year in streaming races online, so although it wasn't said specifically, I'm sure that The Kastner will be available on YouTube!

All I need now is the race programme, and that's my  evenings organised for this weekend

John

Edited by JohnD

And, again thanks to Mike Harmuth, the entry list.    I've extracted the Triumphs from the published list of all cars entered for the Mid-Ohio weekend, presuming that they are in for the Kastner Cup.     The Groups and Classes are those of the SVRA.    I don't know what they will do about the duplicate numbers - add a "1"?

Forty Two Racing Triumphs!!    I haven't seen so many together before - would that the UK contingent had been able to make it 48!

I'm excited because Chuck Gee has entered the Candy Box, The Kastner-Brophy racing Vitesse (14) and there's a Herald in there too, Jerry Barker's - but he has also entered a Spitfire under the same number (24) so unless he has another driver up his sleeve....

I'm told that the weather forecast isn't good for Mid-Ohio!   Thunderstorms are a possibility, and the schedule may be rearranged at short notice, so watch that YouTube space!

Name Number Class Group Car
Rolofson Bud  3 K1  FP  1971 Triumph Spitfire
Stouffer James  4 K12 ? 1970 Triumph TR6
Dolan James  4 K3 DP 1972 Triumph GT 6
Dolan Peter  5 K3 DP 1971 Triumph GT6
Dolan Peter  6 K3 DP 1972 Triumph GT6
Stein Burt  6 K3 EP 1967 Triumph GT6
Harmuth Mike  7 K1 FP 1963 Triumph Spitfire
Sukey Marty  8 K1 FP 1964 Triumph Spitfire
Styduhar John  9 K3 EP 1962 Triumph TR3B
Henry Sean  10 K3 EP 1977 Triumph Spitfire
Johnston Curt   11 K12 MP1 1979 Triumph TR7
Madison Jack 12 K8 CP 1970 Triumph TR6
Gee Chuck  14 K8 BS  1970 Triumph Vitesse
Knight Kenneth 16 K3 CP 1964 Triumph TR-4
Slater Tim  17 K1  GP  1962 Triumph Spitfire
Barker Jerry  24 K3 BS 1963 Triumph Herald
Barker Jerry  24 K3 DP 1971 Triumph Spitfire
Dunst Mordy 25 K3 CP 1966 Triumph Tr4
Passon Pete  26 K1 GP 1964 Triumph Spitfire
Munson Mike   28 K8 CP 1970 Triumph TR6
Dolan Brian  39 K3 DP 1969 Triumph GT6
Darrow Jesse 51 K1  FP  1965 Triumph Spitfire
Tirkala Ferenc  54  K1  FP  1971 Triumph Spitfire
Jackson Michael 62 K3 EP 1962 Triumph TR3B
Hyer Philip  63 K3 DP 1963 Triumph TR4
Sopher COL(Ret) Terry  64  K1  FP  1964 Triumph Spitfire4
Halkias Sam 75 K8 CP 1971 Triumph TR6
Gott David  80 K3 GT 1962 Triumph Tr4
Westfall Russ  82 K3 CP 1964 Triumph TR-4
Fritz Lorne #82 K3 EP 82 K3 EP  1959 Triumph TR3
De Pol Jay  84 K3 EP 1971 Triumph GT6
Drews Tony  95 K3 NC 1963 Triumph TR-4
Alexander Sean  97 K3 DP 1962 Triumph TR4
Frymark John 114 K3 DP 1968 Triumph GT6+
Hasty John 116 K3 DP 1959 Triumph TR3A
Styduhar Daniel  117 K3 EP 1958 Triumph TR3A
Moore Mike 167 K3 DP 1962 Triumph TR4
Amys Alex 184 K3 EP 1970 Triumph Gt6
Gorney Ken 248 K3 DP 1969 Triumph GT6
Stein Jonas  776 K1 FP 1964 Triumph Spitfire Roadster
leccese michael  802 K3 DP 1967 Triumph TR4
Sukey Jason   824 K3 EP

1971 Triumph GT6

• Thanks 1

Which is all very well, BUT...

Here I am, it's 0930 Ohio-time and I STILL can't get anything on the net from there.

Despite the proud assertion from President Parella of the SVRA in the Drivers' Meeting video, about how the SVRA was live streaming races, there is nothing I can find on the SVRA's own YouTube Channel, or its website.     Worse, I've tried to install the SVRA App on my KIndle Fire as that has the Android OS, same as my phone, and Google Play keeps giving me garbage about my account not being associated with a device, despite A/ it clearly being so registered, and B/ Google themslves checking up that is was me trying to install an app!

Ive waited fifteen minutes since that checkup message, and STILL when I find the SVRA App in Goiogkle Store, it says "You don't have any devices"

Bugger.  I've well an truely missed first practice, can anyone help me find the necessary for Qualifying this evening (1425 thier time, 1925 ours)

John

An appeal to the SVRA Office has been most helpful, if not productive, yet.      I was referred to the SVRA person who deals with online matters and then to a Director of the company that manages the online streaming for the SVRA!   So more hopeful I can get to watch some of the Kastner racing!

I've managed to download the app John, but there's no live video. However the 'next event' listed is tomorrow, and includes the Kastner cup. The app is a bit confusing but I found there's a 'replay' option on the video page. The most recent thing on there is from 13 June. There is nothing under the 'live' option, so they're not streaming anything at the moment. 

WooooooooooHOO!

I found a webpage that tells you how to download and run Google Play Store apps on your Amazon Fire!    And it works!  At least, Ive installed the SVRA app, and  can see the  revised progam for this PM at Mid-Ohio.   Revised because apparently some of  (One of??) the Spitfires in morning practice spilt oil all over the track.    Track Owners HATE that, and other drivers only slightly less, and there was a delay to clear it up, so not unreasosnably, they cancelled the Kastner Cup Qualifying session in the PM.     Qualy will be tomorrow.

I know this becasue I also discovered the Facebook Page "North American Triumphs": https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmTriumphs   where it's all mentioned.  This, I think, represents the online magazine http://www.triumphspitfire.com/ and their editorial staff have been touring the paddock videoing the cars, having a chat with the owners an sussing out a good spot to watch and video tomorrow!  Great!  Great-great-great!!!  Just what I'd be doing if I were there and the car was OK!

There's no Triumph racing as such there yet, but some of prototypes and openwheelers.     Looking good!

JOhn

Ok, My Fire is ffiring on all ccylinders and I'm there!      At the Mid-Ohio!    Watching the previous race "IGT" that includes  Porches and Ferraris, and, because he was deprived of his qualy yesterday, Curt Johnson (no relation as far as I know) in his TR8.

And the link has just gone down....   and I can't get it back up.   Keep trying, only 4 laps left of that race, the schedule is 10 minutes behind and it's KC qualy time next! 

11 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

John did you see race 1? It was live-streamed on the SVRA youtube page. Not sure if the whole stream will stay up but this link is working at the moment https://youtu.be/r4AXUt15ZEk?t=143

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT?!?!?!?!

After all my efforts to find a way to play the SVRA app, that crashes and never shows anything again, after my emailing the SVRA office for help (!) who try, but can't, put me onto a director(!) of the company that runs the app, who can't help, and my resercahing the software to run the app on my KIndle Fire, IT'S BLOODY SHOWN, LIVE, ON YOUTUBE!

I've been watching the North American Triumph page on Facebook, where Shawn is recording the sessions and putting them online shortly after, so nearly live!  Great effort by Shawn, but inevitably from a single trackside point, with the added benefit, not seen on the YouTube feed (?) of short paddock videos of the cars and drivers.   Good work, Shawn!

Anyway, back to the race, 24hours late!     Oh, dear, the Huffington TR8 (persistently described as a TR7) that could barely keep up with the TR6s of Mike Munson and Sam Hulkias eventually noses ahead of Sam - and turns in on him!     Hulkias retires immediately, and Curt Johnston in the TR8 soon after.    

I fear that the commentators (is one Australian?) hadn't done their home work!     Describing some of the Triumphs as "being brought out of mothballs" in comparison to the highly developed cars at the front of the grid is stretching  the differential just a bit too far.      And however much he liked the "striped Vitesse" he obviously didn't know that he was looking at the Kastner-Brophy Vitesse, built by Kastner himself and  driven in the TransAm series in the 70s by Carl Swanson!   Tut!

Maybe Friends of Triumph should supply the commentators with some notes on the cars!    Certainly, in the UK, it's usual for drivers to be asked for commentator notes, about their cars and their own careers, to give them something to, er, comment on!

13 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

John did you see race 1? It was live-streamed on the SVRA youtube page. Not sure if the whole stream will stay up but this link is working at the moment https://youtu.be/r4AXUt15ZEk?t=143

What!?!?!?!?!?!?  After all the effort I put into findoing out how to whatch their measly app on my Fire anf then that crashing - it's all on YouTube! Barstewards!!!

No mention of it on the SVRA 

Shawn is recording the sessions and putting them online shortly after, so nearly live!

NB NB  NB   Race 2 is at 8pm our time, 2000.

Edited by JohnD

For the first time, ever, Kas Kastner has been unable to attend the event that bears his name in America.     The Friends of Triumph who organise the Kastner Cup have sent him their good wishes from Mid-Ohio on the North American Triumphs Facebook page:  78487828_1824369907686840_30917564413700

I'm sure that anyone from Britain who would like to join them can do so by posting a message there: https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmTriumphs

John

Edited by JohnD

Watched some of it, as Nick said shame there was not more coverage of the rest of field apart from the first 4 cars...
John would you have been driving in the race? How do you think you Vitesse would have compared to the rest of the field?

Mike

The front runners looked pretty quick and had started catching the back-markers by the end.  Was a bit surprised that the TR8 didn't have more advantage.  The GT6 was doing well too - if only 2L - though Steve may have some thoughts on that....

I thought that the Candy Box performed ad well ad its origins predicted.   Kas will be proud of it.    I had my stopwatch out, and timing that car, I got 72 mph as a lap speed.   It finished sixth, a respectable midfield position I would have been happy to follow behind - and I think I could have! 

I have warned the Friends of Triumph that The British are coming!

• Like 1

John Lilley, of Classic Films in the US is compiling, as he does each year, a film to include as much as possible about the MId-Ohio event.     He'll publish in due course, and last years from Buttonwillow Raceway, is available already on his YouTube channel: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnD said:

John Lilley, of Classic Films in the US is compiling, as he does each year, a film to include as much as possible about the MId-Ohio event.     He'll publish in due course, and last years from Buttonwillow Raceway, is available already on his YouTube channel: 

Really enjoyed that John, I look forward to this year's video whenever it comes out. 

I'm a bit surprised that one particular model doesn't really seem to dominate. Top six in that race were TR8, TR250ish, TR4, Herald, TR4, Spitfire.  Was the old TSSC series like that?

There were no TR7s or 8s in the old TSSC series. or the TRR/TSSC that followed on, but I've raced with them since, and the 8s just fly ahead, lapping everything.    Come on! 3.5L in an engine that weighs LESS  than the Triumph straight six!    I was most surprized that the first three at Mid-Ohio included a TR7, when a TR8 languished halfway down the grid!  John Huffaker is a vastly experienced driver, a past SCCA chapionship several times, but as Carroll Shelby said, "there ain't no substitute for cubic inches".

The Herald too was a surprise!   I recall few in the TSSC, except one in purple (oh, gosh forgotten the name!) that used to run near the front.   With the aerodynamics of a brick, they just shouldn't do so well against a more streamlined opponent.    Spitfires gained from a better power/weight ratio and usually did well against the GT6, but again, TR6s just had more power.    2.5L in a GT6 or Vitesse wasn't the panacea you might think, unless you could fit 15" wheels, which you can't, so you come up against the rev barrier.

Yes, big thanks to North Ameruican Triumph and SVRA for some excellent coverage.  Given me, and many others a lot of fun!

Now, on to next year's Kastner Cup.    I'm told it will be on the West Coast at Portland.    Start working out how to get there now!

And, not to think of competing, but is there a possibility of an All-Triumph race here?    Mark Field used to do it - would enough cars come today?

Edited by JohnD