The Voodoo Smallframe

GT6MK3

A bloke known online as Voodoo, one of the regulars on a Vespa forum I frequent, recently offered me a free, slightly dinged up Vespa 50 frame.  These are unobtanium over here, so despite the fact that I don't need it, don't really have an engine for it, don't have time to work on it, and I'm gonna be in trouble if/when Management finds out, I of course jumped at it.  I did a little paperwork to get an import authority, and put a hurt on my Fedex account, while Voodoo made a big box.

US to Aus in 5 days.IMG_0111.JPEG

Inside, a 56 year old lump of Italian steel.

IMG_0112.JPEG

Which sat in the corner of a mate's factory for a few months while the Covid 19 work frenzy was taking me away from having fun.

IMG_0113.JPEG

Last week, it was time to look at that ding.

Up onto the smally jig.

IMG_0479.JPEG

And away we go

IMG_0123.JPEG

Hmm.

IMG_0140.JPEG

I think it's fair to say that's had a resonable whack. The sides of the spine bulge nicely under that lump of megawelded patch.

IMG_0136.JPEG

From underneath, besides the rust. you can see where a slot has been cut in the spine, a clople of nuts welded in to spread the bent bits back out, then that big ass plate has been used to close the wound.  That wont pass tech to get it back on the road.

Time to make sparks.

IMG_0483.JPEG

Yurgh.

61371543917__67E583CE-C44E-4708-9359-66AC3849199E.JPG

With the plate gone, it's apparent that the walls are buckled and weakened.  On both sides.

Time for more surgery.  "Scalpel".

IMG_0489.JPEG

Thats the slot opened up, 

IMG_0490.JPEG

Those walls are'nt gonna cut it.

IMG_0491.JPEG

Now that's a hole.  Time for some pressure, some heat, and some hammering.

.IMG_0492.JPEG

Followed by a little laser action and some tweaking

61371129395__6AAC2D48-0BF0-48D3-97F3-284A3C9A1898.JPG

Time to close.  

Remember Buffy?  Luckily, I still have her remains.

IMG_0485.JPEG

And, while she was quite rusty,

IMG_0487.JPEG

the part I need is quite solid.

61371621749__AE03956D-4D87-402D-90D9-F490FABC913F.JPG

and covers the hole on both sides.

61371622809__3FF9A785-375C-42B4-B5C8-696CB6DD6A1E.JPG

Thje challenge now was cutting a 3 dimensional piece to fit as snugly as possible, with no available referece point to work from.  Cue a whole day spent slowly cutting, filing, grinding, fitting, hammering, bleeding, and swearing.  Good times!

But,;progress was made.IMG_0496.JPEG

and, after a few thousand fitups, it was time.

IMG_0499.JPEG

With everything straight, some internal bracing is puddle welded in to the sides and top for strength.

IMG_0501.JPEG

and the patch is finally ready.

IMG_0503.JPEG

Gently tacked in

IMG_0506.JPEG

Then generously TIG'd down tight.

IMG_0516.JPEG

Nice...

IMG_0518.JPEG

Out with the MIG, and some deep puddle welds to tie it to the bracing.

IMG_0520.JPEG

Time for a few hours of careful grinding and sanding

IMG_0527.JPEG

on both sides

IMG_0529.JPEG

and a little grey primer.

IMG_0546.JPEG

From Hole to Whole, just like that. 

Time to build a Voodoo Rat Rod.

Wow...… serious surgery!  Came out well - almost invisible.  Good to go again.

Presumably the original "dent" was actually a fold caused by the whole structure bending from a substantial frontal.... errr…… mishap?

Not quite sure how many this is now...….. but I think it's fair to say that you've not been taking your pills...….. :P

Cheers Guys.  I enjoy the problem solving that comes along with something like this.

Mike - the jig is the one I used to build the last frame, so I pulled it into shape using that.  Looks ok with the laser, riding it will be the real test.

Nick - Yep.  Didn't need it, but love the challenge.  Need to get the garage cleared  out so I can find the Sixfire again...  

Got a plan for a bit of workspace over the next few months, might even be able to find that lovely silver project before too long.

• 1 month later...

Lots more welding practice happening with this one.

IMG_0681.JPEG

No such thing as too many clamps

IMG_0682.JPEG

And lots of grinding practice too...

Dry fitted it up today to see how it will all work.

IMG_0687.JPEG

I think its fair to say it will be a beast

IMG_0717.JPG

Happy fabricator.

Tomorrow it all comes apart for more welding.

Monster indeed.... that exhaust :blink:.  Would it be wrong of me to suggest that the ....err..... finish actually looks quite purposeful and menacing as it is.  Rat look.......

Meanwhile, looking at all the space around you in those pics...... didn't you use to have a GT6?  Or even a Sixfire.....? Both having had huge effort invested already and just needing a final push to see the road again.......

This pic posted just over 3 years ago.......

post-903-0-33353400-1497882166.jpg

I know the last 20% is the hard part - particularly to the ocd afflicted....... but 3 years?!  She's begging to be finished 

didn't you use to have a GT6?  Or even a Sixfire.....?

Guilty.  Keep nagging.  I need to find a way to get one there.

Today's work.

Firstly, lots of wire wheeling.  No blood loss is the major achievement here.

IMG_0721.jpg

Then, lots of bending, measuring, clamping, swearing, re-bending, re-clamping, etc etc.

Half way  there on stiffening up the legshield older than I am by bending and rolling in 6.3mm rod.  Not fun.

IMG_0723.jpg

Good eye.  I often have to pull apart drives to render the data on them unrecoverable when they go out of service, and I always keep the magnets.  They are indeed impressively strong.  This one is keeping an unobtanium captive nut safe for me till /i re-install the rear brake.

The Smallframe  series came out of the factory in various guises.  This 1964 one had a whopping 50cc, 2.6Hp, 3 speed motor capable of lugging it's rider along at all of 29mph.  It can be made considerably more fun by changing out the internals for a 4 speed, adding a longer crank, a 144cc direct reed cylinder, a ridiculous expansion chamber and a variable ignition.  That combo will go a long way towards moving the decimal place in the Hp figure one place to the right, and will see a new top speed capable of fracturing the limit on most highways.  The interesting trick there is that you actually down gear the ratio for 4th, so that you can get it to rev right to the end of the 5 figure rpm band.  The addition of a disc brake and better shocks is highly recommended... 

Finished up the stiffening/reinforcing rod today, amazing how much it's stiffened up the legshield.

2wkEJxlLTam6eF7gioZp0g.jpg

I think I broke my own clamp record

XxrW1jFRRryua2%SI5eGUQ.jpg

• 1 year later...