Interesting Herald for sale...

Hey thanks for posting it here, it's a really hard decision... But once the pandemic restrictions are lifted I'm going to start a new job in Moscow and I can't see a way to store both this and my 13/60. My companion is in a similar predicament, leaving the choices of break it or to sell it.

It's hard to attach a value as like most classics it's worth more in parts. At the same time we knew we'd never get our money back, but we'd rather not part it out if possible. Basically the perfect car for the RBRR or 10CR with a bit of tidying up! My only regret is we didn't get a chance to do one final trip this spring.

Thanks for following us along back in 2018, it was great fun.

- David

Edited by JumpingFrog
  • Like 1

David

Do it (tart it?) Up about and drive it to Moscow!

Trabants and Moscvichs were so popular here, you could sell to a Muscovite.    A car that can make it to UlanBator has to able to survive the Russian winter!

I do admired your Mongol Rally exploit!   Hope you find it a home!

Just now, JohnD said:

David

Do it (tart it?) Up about and drive it to Moscow!

Trabants and Moscvichs were so popular here, you could sell to a Muscovite.    A car that can make it to UlanBator has to able to survive the Russian winter!

I do admired your Mongol Rally exploit!   Hope you find it a home!

Anyway we've managed to find a buyer, he says he wants to use it and fix up the bodywork. Which is what we'd hoped for.

Thanks Nick, I did put an advert up there as you suggested but actually Facebook marketplace ended up finding the buyer. Unusual given my past experience.

Thanks John, I appreciate your enthusiasm! Unfortunately I think Russian import laws and bureaucracy would put a stop to such exploits.

On the subject of Soviet cars. I have my eyes on the ZAZ 968, rear-engined, 1.2L, alloy air-cooled V4... Basically a Beetle crossed with an Imp. There are Russian forums for them, and EFI conversions have been done. And of course Putin had one, what more could you want?! But owning a car in Moscow would be a little pointless - the metro is excellent and they suffer from some pretty horrendous traffic jams.

640px-Putin_with_his_1972_Zaporozhets.jpg.15645292140f411667261eb6a0622551.jpg

10 hours ago, JumpingFrog said:

.... and they suffer from some pretty horrendous traffic jams.

I think, to be fair, it has been one continuous traffic jam for the last twenty years.  Just the participants change from time to time...

Great picture of the ZAZ - Putin looks as if he's spotted blood on the rear tyre.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PaulAA said:

Putin looks as if he's spotted blood on the rear tyre

Probably just checking the poor sod he's just knocked down, then reversed back over is properly dead......

My boss was in Moscow quite recently for a business meeting (aka giant piss-up) and rather liked it.  This in spite of the resulting biblical hangover......

RBRR should be done in a small, under-powered 2 seater for maximum pain.  That way you are more likely to be cured on the first attempt......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Probably just checking the poor sod he's just knocked down, then reversed back over is properly dead......

My boss was in Moscow quite recently for a business meeting (aka giant piss-up) and rather liked it.  This in spite of the resulting biblical hangover......

RBRR should be done in a small, under-powered 2 seater for maximum pain.  That way you are more likely to be cured on the first attempt......

Re RBRR I hope you are not going to mention being tired and driving...if you do you will get so much abuse from CT.. On the dead forum and there FB page.. ;)

Mike

5 minutes ago, mpbarrett said:

I hope you are not going to mention being tired and driving

No sir....... Not I.  I think it is a great event, but it doesn't suit me as I need to lie down to sleep and can only manage one night without.  I was so far beyond tired I was on another planet.

16 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

No sir....... Not I.  I think it is a great event, but it doesn't suit me as I need to lie down to sleep and can only manage one night without.  I was so far beyond tired I was on another planet.

agree, done 1 and attempted a second but never again. Just cant do driving for 48 hours... But happy for others to try to do it. :)

mike

Mike,

Having now visited the CT forum..... for the first time in quite a while....... I see why you commented as you did.  Bloody McGuiness!  He should have tried reading John's post properly and having a little think before climbing on his high horse. :mad:

I agree with John and I agree with your defence of him.  As for McGuiness..... Bah! But, the irony is that Sideways owes him.... in a backhanded sort of way; as a CT forum moderator he was one of the leading reasons that Dave Powell left the CT Forum and set up his own competition to it.......

• Like 1

Thank you, Nick, and others, for your support on the CT Forum.     I went to CT because someone told me that it was much improved, technically and in content.     Sad to say, neither are true.     It just took 30 seconds for that thread to load from the index page - OK, 30 secs is only 30 secs but it's an age compared to here - and the attitudes haven't changed!   

I did the RBRR in relative luxury!   Three of us, Kevin, Vinnie and me in Kevin's Acclaim, so three watches and the 'off-duty' member could lie down in the back.    That was fine for me, I can sleep on a rope!   As I said about the Mongol Rally car, in an Estate the third watch-man could stretch right out.     Some padding and wedges and they will be feather-bedded!  Fancy trying again in one, Nick?

I was the first respondent to Johns post. I was didn't realise he had done an RBRR, but that aside, the organisers do go to great lengths to get into peoples skulls the whole rest thing, and certainly the last 2 Drivers meetings they have been at pains to encourage people to take at least a decent break before heading home, if not staying locally (my option, a real no-brainer)

But yes, seems as if it all went a bit pete tong......

Re the website/forum, people will need to be patient a little while longer. It is "in hand" but things are tricky, as the website needs to cope with all sorts of requirements. The forum should be a doddle by comparison. But timescales are "difficult" at the moment which I hope people will understand. However, it is going in the right direction.

I'm not saying any more on the RBRR stuff.

Re the forum and website, it's pretty much only in the world of CT that they sit on the same platform.  Most use different platforms as that is the sane approach.  Therefore perhaps no reason not to crack on with the forum side and start the recovery process rolling (I'm not going say halt the decline because I reckon it's pretty much bottomed already), while nailing the website spec down.....

59 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

I'm not saying any more on the RBRR stuff.

Re the forum and website, it's pretty much only in the world of CT that they sit on the same platform.  Most use different platforms as that is the sane approach.  Therefore perhaps no reason not to crack on with the forum side and start the recovery process rolling (I'm not going say halt the decline because I reckon it's pretty much bottomed already), while nailing the website spec down.....

If only it were that easy.... and I reckon the forum will end up being almost an afterthought. However, at least one person is fighting to get it sorted correctly.

• Like 2