Mark

Car Alarm

Hi all

Thinking of fitting an alarm to the Vitesse convertible. I don't want anything to high tech, just with the ability to sense movement and doors opening, so not effected by having the roof down. I have a cut out, but wouldn't stop someone pushing it out of sight, and towing away. All very unlikely I know, but after having my motorbike stolen a few years ago from the front garden, the van broken into, the neighbour burgled, I don't want to let my guard down. The Vitesse is in a lock-up, but want to swap cars around and keep the Vitesse outside the house, more inclined to get some use out of it.

I fitted a Selmar alarm to a Spitfire about 35 years ago, basic pendulum type, worked well. Activated by a key, which I fitted on the rear wing?, seemed acceptable to me at the time,  but ideally want something activated by a key fob. 

Anyone have an alarm fitted with any recommendations? Don't want to spend a lot just a basic set-up. Also thought an alarmed steering lock might be a option. What's you thoughts?

Bought an old opened, but unused Selmar Alarm which looks to be pretty complete. This was advertised as being from the sixties probably been tucked away in someones loft as it in as new condition. As previously mentioned I wanted something basic. I bought and fitted a newer version of this to a Mk3 Spitfire in the early 80's , from memory identical apart from being a rectangular box. Properly made and durable,  It was very effective apart from in strong winds where I had to adjust the pendulum's sensitivity.

This is activated by a key switch, and although not totally ruling out drilling a hole in the body to accommodate it, I was thinking along the lines of wiring it up to a remote key fob activated switch that I have seen advertised. Not sure how reliable/effective these would be? Also thinking of fitting an LED somewhere so that I know it is active, so combine some new tech with the old school design. Any suggestions?

20200612_143551.jpg

45 minutes ago, Mark said:

I was thinking along the lines of wiring it up to a remote key fob activated switch that I have seen advertised. Not sure how reliable/effective these would be? Also thinking of fitting an LED somewhere so that I know it is active, so combine some new tech with the old school design.

Like this idea.......  was initially doubting the "60s" origin.  Then I saw the picture.......  Plenty of cheap central locking kits out there with remotes with the facility to activate an alarm module.  Ours (Chris's) was a Maplin one IIRC.  Just don't assume that the wires supplied with them actually have continuous copper (or anything else conducting) in them!

Hi,

I have been collecting car Alarms for the last 25 years.
The last 15 yers it's been the two way type mostly from outside of Europe as they have a greater RF power output.
The last ten years it's been the GSM/GPS types.
Never bought any ultrasonic types as no good for softtops so bought a few microwave types.

Bad news is the boss has made me clean up all my car stuff the last few weeks and I have binned a few systems. I should have offered them homes on here.
I still have some quality Sparkrite types that I will also never use. I will be doing the final cull tonight.

I threw out a Russian market alarm (Made in Korea)  that had a pageging range of over a mile.Nice colour screen as well!

Cheers,

Iain.

Hi,

The below is surplus & I can't be arsed to EBay them.
I have remotes & RFID transponders for the alarm & imobiser.

Both are imobilisers because they both have RFID antenna's. I have no manual for both so I need to see instructions for the Alarm one to match it with the RFID's I have.

Everthing is there. I have RFID's & maybe one 12v battery for the remotes I have.

Anybody want to save them from the bin?

Cheers,

Iain.

IMG_2789[1].JPG

IMG_2790[1].JPG

IMG_2791[1].JPG