Relay types

rogerguzzi

Hello Nick

A fiend of mine told me years ago the company he did his apprenticeship with who made large air compressors and gas turbines made all their large screw threads 11 TPI so you had to buy parts from them as nobody made those size taps and dies.

Roger

ps do you think it is worth importing a load of these relays to sell to people like me who buy these relay boxes??? (I think it is a bit late in my life to start a business!)

Hah, just made a special tool to dismantle a Shimano free hub for a bicycle wheel.

The device itself is simple enough and nicely made, but “sir should sit down for this” expensive. If maintained (dismantled, washed out, regreased) they’ll last indefinitely. Shimano have noticed this and the special tool you need to get into them is NLA......

Young ‘un rides 10k+ miles a year all weathers and has several in a distressed state. Rather than buy him a fish, I thought I’d supply a rod......

Hello All

I have just had a good idea now I have got one relay the wrong type and another on order from Chinky land

I have several single relay bases and one is the clip together type now I recon I can carefully cut the jap base out and fit this one in its place secured with some 4ba screws and glue!

After all there is no stress on it and all relays would be the same( I have several spares) with built in fuse holder so that would be 12 fuses to allocate!

Roger

Is this case of measure twice have a cup of tea measure again then cut?

On 5/25/2020 at 10:15 AM, mpbarrett said:

Roger

yes you are right, but, I know this seems daft,  have you tried putting a micro relay into it?
I have been using some modular stuff from Carbuilder (its rubbish BTW) and the slots in the plastic are  strange shame to take the connection inserts that make you think the relay wont fit.

Wonder why that relay position is different?

Mike

Hi Mike,

What colour & what was/is wrong with the CarBuilders modular deals? I will stop looking if i'm wasting my time.

Cheers,

Iain.

1 hour ago, spitfire6 said:

Hi Mike,

What colour & what was/is wrong with the CarBuilders modular deals? I will stop looking if i'm wasting my time.

Cheers,

Iain.

its the grey modular system, (MFSRLY6M is the 6 micro relay unit). I feel for the money the plastic housing is not very good quality, the crimps terminals are too large for most cables, once you have the cables in place and connected to a fuse unit, the cable protrude from the back. this is ok if its on an open panel otherwise you have to mount it on spacers to make room under the unit. They don't sell a mini fuse unit on its own only a micro fuse unit. 
Its extremely difficult to get the inserts out if you make a mistake or want to change something. AFAR they don't sell a crimp removal tool. And they don't sell a crimping tool specific for the terminals so making the crimps is difficult.

The other stuff I have had from Carbuilders I am happy with just not the Modular system...

Mike

1 hour ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

I am a happy Bunny now!

I have converted the relay/fuse box so all relays are the same.

So now have 6 fused relays and 6 fuses.

I am hoping that will be enough?

Roger

DSC01597.JPG

DSC01599.JPG

OK, how did you do it?

Hello Clive

Magic !!

I used one of these type bases and cut the lugs off and the clip together bit.

If you look at the relay box the holders are held in place like a noughts and crosses grid with the holder being the middle square.

So just cut through the 8 legs and you finish up with a square hole which the new holder will fit in.

Then hold it level with the rest and drill 2   4BA holes into the bit next to those little holes next to the flat pin.

Then comes the fiddly bit getting the nuts on but stuck to a small screwdriver it can be done

I used counter sunk heads to make it look a better job(but that's just me being picky!)

I am not sure the lid will fit to well as it has a chamfer and catches the fuses but it is not need as it will be inside the car.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RELAY-BASE-HOLDER-WITH-MOUNTING-BRACKET-AND-TERMINALS-FOR-4-5-PIN-MINI-RELAYS/223301844509?_

Roger

9 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

its the grey modular system, (MFSRLY6M is the 6 micro relay unit). I feel for the money the plastic housing is not very good quality, the crimps terminals are too large for most cables, once you have the cables in place and connected to a fuse unit, the cable protrude from the back. this is ok if its on an open panel otherwise you have to mount it on spacers to make room under the unit. They don't sell a mini fuse unit on its own only a micro fuse unit. 
Its extremely difficult to get the inserts out if you make a mistake or want to change something. AFAR they don't sell a crimp removal tool. And they don't sell a crimping tool specific for the terminals so making the crimps is difficult.

The other stuff I have had from Carbuilders I am happy with just not the Modular system...

Mike

Thanks Mike. I wont bother buying and storing in the house with all my other shit.

Cheers,

Iain.

PS. Roger, It looks very nice.

Hello All

I was looking at what fuse I have and thought I want a few different rated ones.

So after a look on Fleabay I bought these ! (do you think I have bought toooo many?)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120-Pcs-Standard-Blade-Fuse-Assorted-Kit-Mixed-10x-All-Amperages-ATO-Car/201649949192?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I think I have enough to last the rest of my life!

No more expensive than buying a couple of ratings!

Roger

DSC01605.JPG

Always good to have loads of fuses. Always buying new as I (read-Wife) missplaces the boxes and they are cheap enough.

I use a few MCB ones that I can reset with my finger. The glow shows me wich one has blown. I have them on my Cooling fan, Fuel pump & Water pump since removed.

I always use a dab of electrical grease on pins. it cant hurt.

Edited by spitfire6