Relay types

rogerguzzi

Roger, it looks like the relay socket is "universal" - so for a standard automotive relay you'd stick connectors in 4 out of the 5 slots leaving the one in the centre empty.

4 pins for "make/break" switching, 5 pins for "change over" type. Or in electrician speak 4 pin ones only have a normally open output pin, 5 pin ones have a normally open (NO) AND and normally closed (NC)

2 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

its for a miniature relay like this

https://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity/v23074a1001a403/relay-automotive-spdt-12vdc-25a/dp/1197662?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9rSP2KrO6QIViIxRCh0QtQJPEAQYBCABEgJ3ZPD_BwE&gross_price=true&mckv=s9YpeCn8O_dc|pcrid|432052015391|plid||kword||match||slid||product|1197662|pgrid|101494708758|ptaid|pla-904093075629|&CMP=KNC-GUK-SHOPPING-switches-relays-NEWSTRUCTURE-20APR

Hello Mike

No its not one of them that is what I thought! ( Ihave some of them)

If you look all the pins are north/south as compared to 2 being east/west

So I still do not know pity its not the same as the others!

Roger

Roger

yes you are right, but, I know this seems daft,  have you tried putting a micro relay into it?
I have been using some modular stuff from Carbuilder (its rubbish BTW) and the slots in the plastic are  strange shame to take the connection inserts that make you think the relay wont fit.

Wonder why that relay position is different?

Mike

Hello All

I certainly will not fit!!!!!

I am going to use the relays with built in fuses so that mean I can have at least 11 fuses in circuit

I also bought these 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DURITE-0-005-53-3-X-6-WAY-25-AMP-BUS-BAR-TERMINAL-BLOCK/161962352789?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233562151555

I may not need the fuse board now! or I could fuse every component on the car!(but that would be silly?)

Roger 

Hi roger, it's this type - standard automotive 30 amp relay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-pin-12v-30-a-relay-30-amp-30-a-car-boat-van-motorcycle-horn-ry1/291025893834_trkparms=aid=1110006algo=homesplice.simao=1asc=225114meid=d25f725d5b684288938a9e4e7cfb64ffpid=100005rk=4rkt=12mehot=pfsd=171116776405itm=291025893834pmt=1noa=0pg=2047675algv=simplamlv5pairwisewebwithbbev1filterbrand=sterling_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851redirect=mobile

Regards

Dave

Don't want to hijack you thread but a bit of a warning...

I am using a similar module to mount some relays in the Herald as part of the long winded dash board rewiring.
Like your it uses crimped connectors and then the connector is fitted into the plastic housing. Its held in by nasty little metal teeth. Finished mine with all the fuses and 5 relays all wired up.
Before fitting it to the car decided to test it on the bench, that's when I found that I had incorrectly wired the relays... Mixed up the coil and contacts...
Had to spend most of yesterday afternoon getting the inserts out of the housing so I could rewire it, bloody difficult, using all sorts of tools to release the insert from the housing,
Almost gave up and junked the whole lot.
So before you put in the inserts check, go and have a coffee, and then check again that you have got the wiring correct!

Stupid error on my part but  I blame Cumming and Covid-19 for distracting me when I was wiring it up. ;) 

Mike

50 minutes ago, mpbarrett said:

Had to spend most of yesterday afternoon getting the inserts out of the housing so I could rewire it, bloody difficult, using all sorts of tools to release the insert from the housing,

If you do much wiring I recommend buying a cheap set of these:

SAVITA 21 PCS Terminal Removal Tool Key Extractor Tool Pin ...

I use them a lot for the arcade machine wiring - pin removal tools.

Not expensive and can save a lot of annoyance/swearing.

Edited by yorkshire_spam

I had seen them on a FB advert a few days ago and  ordered a set from Amazon, but none of them fitted properly with out a bit of surgery,  
But couldn't have got the inserts out without them.
Worth having in the toolbox :)

Mike

Hi Roger - was annoying me :growl:so a bit of rummaging on fleabay resulted in finding another seller with same box - but this is labelled and it says that it is a RTT7121 4 pin relay, some list it as a high power relay - some list it as a general purpose relay, but seems mostly for Toyota - try searching the code above - all seem to be from China at 4 to 5 quid:biggrin:

Regards

Dave

1 hour ago, daisymoose said:

Hi Roger - was annoying me :growl:so a bit of rummaging on fleabay resulted in finding another seller with same box - but this is labelled and it says that it is a RTT7121 4 pin relay, some list it as a high power relay - some list it as a general purpose relay, but seems mostly for Toyota - try searching the code above - all seem to be from China at 4 to 5 quid:biggrin:

Regards

Dave

Awesome work Dave that's been like having sand in the back of my brain all day!

There seems to be a 5 pin version too:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32948823380.html

RGL 12V-24V RTT7121 40A small electromagnetic relay 5 pin  car / DIY General Electric Relays

Edited by yorkshire_spam

Hello All

I have ordered one from china but now thinking about it I think I will order a second one from a different supplier as a spare would be good as they seem to be as rare as hens teeth!

Roger

Ps I wonder it it was a copy of a Toyoto relay box?

So why would anyone make a relay block for 6 relays where 5 are of one, near universal type, but the 6th is of a different and rather unusual type, though functionally the same?

Design by Tory government strategist? No, they have done it the other way around. Must be just a random idiot then.