The rebuild that goes one step foward two back!

michaeljf

Hello Nick, The original wheels will actually be an inch wider when I am finished with them, the white basket things (Compomotive) are off a rally car ( sons Very radical Datsun "1600"(2000 T/C 2x50mm twin throat carby's) dog box,R200 diff, ohlins coil over all round, full FIA cage, etc. "classic class", they are the heaviest and maybe the strongest and he has 10 of them. The BBS are the lightest by far AND the widest (6.5x15). The white baskets would be only very temporary use IF I don't get the steels finished in time. Regards, Michael. 

Hello Nick, The original wheels will actually be an inch wider when I am finished with them, the white basket things (Compomotive) are off a rally car ( sons Very radical Datsun "1600"(2000 T/C 2x50mm twin throat carby's) dog box,R200 diff, ohlins coil over all round, full FIA cage, etc. "classic class", they are the heaviest and maybe the strongest and he has 10 of them. The BBS are the lightest by far AND the widest (6.5x15). The white baskets would be only very temporary use IF I don't get the steels finished in time. Regards, Michael. 

I admit I went with the cheaper option of the minilite copies for my 3a

my road tyres (very wet track days) are silver vredestiens sprint classic 185/70x15

my race (sprint and hillclimb road legal) tyres 185/55x15 are black with cut silver rim

i have just bought another set that have just been painted black for a used set of Avon cr6zz 185/89x15 tyres road legal but intended for higher speed tracks like aintree. 

I changed to 4.1 diff so with 55 profile tyres a loose a lot of top speed which isn’t a problem as most sprints and hill climbs.

the 70 profile help the speed a bit but loose some stability on the corners. 

D9185064-EA14-48E1-95C8-C763BEEFDBBA.jpeg

F3771731-CDD1-453C-8BAB-7CC17CCFBABB.jpeg

C9FBE399-8D9E-479D-9F6A-F8F1B3ECE2D7.jpeg

17 hours ago, michaeljf said:

Hello Hamish, All look good. Have you used the Maxsport yet?  I have a friend who runs a TR3a in group Sa, will post a photo and a few specs. somewhere. Regards, Michael. 

Yes I have done 3 ? Seasons on the maxsport the soft compound. Sprints and hillclimbs. Very pleased with them. Curborough fig 8 sprint is about 79 s on road tyres

to 73s with maxsport 6 seconds in just over  minute run is a big chunk of time. 
the soft wouldn’t last on a circuit of a few laps. 

Hello Hamish, I bought them s/h, were supposed to be 1:6 but with measuring seem to be 1:64 and made in Sydney. Have been having trouble (know nothing about roller rockers) working out shims for posts then pushrods. But may have now.... Regards, Michael. (what do you think of my wife's effort on the little round picture?)

Hello, Well a little progress (step forward). Happy with valve lash and ordered new chrome moly pushrods in the right length, new (longer ) rocker gear studs, length of 12mm alloy strip to make rocker cover spacer, timing chain /vernier cam gear /timing etc., done and new bolts to turn into rocker cover studs (longer). Photo tomorrow?  Regards, Michael. Have had my brother with the damaged hand visiting for a few days and he has got me moving on the motor.

Hi Michael,

Great thread you have going here.  Could I ask what you have done to delete the fan extension?  I've seen kits available from the States but nothing in the UK.  I appreciate you are in OZ so did you machine something yourself?

Cheers

Chris