Age related car registration numbers?

My query is about age related car registrations numbers?

Can you acquire one for a car that is already registered?
If so, what website address do you use at the DVLA and do you get a choice of numbers?
(It needs to have a V suffix and preferably NS for the first two letters)

My reason for asking is that I am repairing a car that has been off the road for a long time
and will be quite different to how it was previously.

thanks,
Ian.

PS a couple of years ago a friend was showing me the way to do this but had to take a phone call
and we never got back to it. Sadly he died very unexpectedly last September.

I'm no expert on this but I think that as the car is already UK registered the procedure will be as for getting a "private" or "personalised" plate.  This can be done via the many plate dealers or, I think direct with the DVLA.

This looks to be the webpage

https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/search/results.html?search=NS&action=index&pricefrom=0&priceto=&prefixmatches=&currentmatches=&limitprefix=&limitcurrent=&limitauction=&searched=true&openoption=&language=en&prefix2=Search&super=&super_pricefrom=&super_priceto=

but I can't find any single letter suffix plates (ie '63 to '83) at all on their site or a couple of others..... which is odd!

http://www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf

This is interesting.  NS* where * is anything from A to Z would be a Scottish reg - appropriately enough!

Nick

Thanks Nick that is really helpful.

The DVLA only auction suffix numbers (three or four times a year, these are selected by request apparently).
The second link took me to a buying site for unissued numbers where I found something suitable
and await a response from the seller.

Thanks,
Ian.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...