What are you drinking tonight?

5 hours ago, TR5tar said:

Hmmm, I'm in a difficult spot now. I've been thinking about replacing the Aberlour for a while now, but the Glen Scotia Victoriana sounds good, as does the Tomatin Distillery Exclusive (although I cannot find a bottle at the moment). Another one that would fit the bill I think is a Glendronach Allardice 18 year old. About 10 miles from where I live is a strange little whisky shop, on a housing estate. It seems so out of place, but has a fabulous stock ... https://whiskyandwines.com/ It was the owner who suggested the Glendronach to me the last time I was in. 

Shocked to hear that they were serving up Lagavulin and coke at a whisky festival. Only ever water, one, or occasionally two, drops to open up the flavours, for me.  

I have a bottle of the Glendronach Allardice 18YO in my collection, well worth getting!

I met it last year at a whisky tasting, had a bottle on the shelf before the week was out!

And anyway, what is this replace you talk off?? Surely you mean in addition to :devil:

Lol yeap i always add, never finish a bottle, don't know why its become a habbit.

oooo Glendronach Allardice 18 looks nice, i try and buy sub £100 bottles, but that could be a treat for the end of this!

The Tomatin is only available from the distillery in person, i have a friend of a friend who works there.

I dunno if you have tried the Project XX from Glenfiddich but its a really nice whisky for a really nice price!

Edited by mattius

Jeez..... some serious whiskey buffs here.  How many bottles??! :ohmy: Was given a bottle of Dalwhinnie (the 15 year old stuff) years ago - and I liked it.  My tongue did anyway.  My stomach, not so much.  Was never much of a spirits drinker, though quite liked the occasional Bombay Sapphire.

Long time beer/wine drinker, especial real beer, but alcohol free for about 5 years now having finally worked out what was causing the headaches.  Not talking about your standard hangover here.....  

Must admit I am not a whisky drinker.

I used to enjoy it, as long as it wasn't too peaty/smokey, but trying to work our way through too many of the 100 different whisky's on offer at the Golden Lion (I think) in Padstow in the mid/late 1980's is probably the reason I don't drink it now! I really should have learnt from previous experiences - I haven't touched dark rum since a Young Farmers Carol singing night in the late '70's, or Guinness since a free Guinness night at Uni in ~1980.

Good real ale - preferably quite hoppy (and as I said above I hope this pandemic isn't the end of the many great small and medium sized breweries that there are now), Good Wine, and Armagnac are my main tipples now. That covers enough options I think

Another Islay, Lagavulin fan here. Recently, persuaded to buy a bottle of Talisker Dark Storm - has proved to be all too drinkable!

Anticipating a lock down, got off a decent sized order to the Wine Society - mainly whites. Managed to get most of it delivered before they ceased all deliveries last week. Fortunately, I have a few decent bottles of red left over from some over optimist ordering for Christmas. So should survive the supermarket drought. We are running low on gin though and tonic is also in short supply.

One positive is that a couple of local breweries have emerged. Previously sold exclusively to the restaurant / pub trade. Now organising domestic deliveries so will be trying a few new brews. (all in the cause of supporting small, local businesses you understand!).

Miles

6 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Na not diet. 
don’t do the synthetic sugars.

moderation is the key  

or so they tell me  

I've been drinking diet for many years and it's never done me any harm :banana:
Remember, something has to kill you in the end!

I saw Billy Connolly live a few years back, I follow his response to it, 

It's not the years flouncing on a beach you are knocking off your life drinking, it's those where your miserable in a care home ( paraphrasing, language was a lot more colourful)

I like that Matt, and will live by it from now on. My Dad had that outlook I think. He drank far too much and a massive (second) heart attack finished him off at the age of 80, nearly 81 - but he didn't get anywhere near the care home scenario so there is something to be said for it one could argue.

As for moderation Hamish - I heard a good quote over the weekend - 'Everything in moderation - including moderation!'

Rod

10 hours ago, TR5tar said:

I've been drinking diet for many years and it's never done me any harm :banana:
Remember, something has to kill you in the end!

Beware, Darren

I started drinking Diet Coke in the mid-80s and became used to the chemical taste.  Nearly thirty years later, I had a protracted period of severe issues with my, ahem, alimentary canal, lost a lot of weight, lost work, hospitalised a couple of times, etc.  I went through exclusion diets and finally established that I had become intolerant to aspartum, the artificial sweetener in 'diet' products.

Paul

5 hours ago, mattius said:

Its the damn Irn Bru bars you need to watch out for, destroyed a whole generation of kids teeth! literally!

Saying that, there is nothing better to cure a hangover than a nice full fat Irn bru!

Aye, just not that new fangled low sugar nonsense that tastes of weedkiller!

The stuff they re-made to the old recipe was ok though.