Sign in to follow this  
hardhatharry

1976 Spitty Girling Clutch Master Cylinder looks wrong

Ok I had to use a fair bit of heat to get the piston assembly out.

Have I knackered the valve at the end of the spring or is this normal

If I have knackered it anyone know where I can get another one it doesn't seem to be in the repair kit?

ibLxw1x.jpg

SzCuSG1.jpg

Nope, that is definitely cooked.  Spring looks hurt too.  Those parts are common to any Girling m/c ( not sure if they even vary with bore) but will have to be salvaged from used cylinders as not available new AFIK.  Is the bore of the cylinder you are working on perfect?  They quite often suffer pitting when they've sat a long time and while they may work initially, the seal soon gets chewed and then they leak.  Especially clutch as they do the full stroke every time - though less safety critical than brake obviously.

These cylinder styles are widely available new.  Some are Girling, some pretend to be Girling, some just look a bit like them.  Quality roughly proportional to cost.  Roughly.  Personally I stick to Girling for the brake.  I've tried various for clutch and gone back to Girling.  They cost more, but they do last, and the seal kits fit them.  This is not always the case for the copies.