Wish Me Luck as you Wave Me Goodbye

rogerguzzi

The locomotives (not 'engines', please!) are DHR (Darjeeling Highland Railway) B Class  0-4-0 well tank/saddle tank engines designed by Sharp Stewart & Co of Glasgow, and built by them in their Atlas workshops on the Clyde between 1889 and 1929.    Originally there were 30 of them, plus 3 built in the DHR workshops. 

Their short length, and lack of a tender, so the need for a saddletank with coal 'bunker' on top, makes them more manoeverable on the narrow guage and short radius bends, and was a design intention.  They are a popular subject for model engineers:

John

darjeeling-b-class-45mm-2015.pdf

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All

We have travelled up to Darjeeling on the Toy Train and are now at the Windermere Hotel(oldy world and lovely)

Hoping to to see the sunrise tomorrow!(6am!!) Then more train rides etc.

A few photos of today

No pop virus yet and Deli belly is ok!

Roger and Memsahib

P1060399.JPG

P1060407.JPG

P1060419.JPG

P1060436.JPG

P1060433.JPG

P1060373.JPG

P1060371.JPG

P1060430.JPG

P1060418.JPG

P1060387.JPG

Hello All

A few photos from today.

We go back to siliguri tomorrow and we are not sure what will happen then as there is talk of the airline not flying to uk for much longer!

Roger

Ps Exide holiday home to recharge your battery?

P1060492.JPG

P1060499.JPG

P1060487.JPG

P1060507.JPG

P1060501.JPG

P1060514.JPG

P1060535.JPG

P1060534.JPG

P1060495.JPG

P1060496.JPG

Hello All

I travelled down on the train today(Memsahid decided to us coach)back to Siliguri

I have a lot more photos to show you but may have to wait until tomorrow as the plans have changed!

We are still going to Deli tomorrow and we have a steam train ride Saturday but we have to fly home Sunday as India is getting to lock down we even had to fill in forms again which we had done at the airport.

We have still had a great time and the hotel at Shimla was fantastic in an old school way which we love(photos to follow)

Roger and The Memsahib

Hello All

At Dubia airport should be back in Blighty 7am at Heathrow and have booked bus to get to Birmingham airport were the car is!

It has been a good trip but cut short but at least we have had a holiday? But most will not this year!

A few photos(lost track of what sent! Will sort more out when in isolation at home!

Roger and memsahib

P1060651.JPG

P1060683.JPG

P1060643.JPG

P1060594.JPG

P1060685.JPG

P1060582.JPG

P1060514.JPG

P1060475.JPG

P1060387.JPG

Hello All

We arrived home at 2.30pm Sunday even stopped at an Aldi to pick up some supplies(wine!!!!!)

We a in self isolation now for me no change as I often do not go out from one Sunday to the next to meet a mate at the local club

I was going to take Spitty for her MOT Thursday but decided against it as I am in the old Bugger risk group and I suppose it will not be used in the next few months?

Just had a wine offer from one of the companies we use so will order a shed load and a small packet of crackers!

The trip was all we hoped it would be and the organiser and guides did a fantastic job of getting us home.

I have down loaded all the photos and will sort through them and post more if you like as you will have B****er all else to do.

I have a couple of movie clips with engines under load if I can work out how to post them? or better still one of you talk me through the process!

There is some Dick Heads shooting at birds in the field behind us! So I suppose that is essential Work/Travel?

Roger

13 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Indeed. The first one takes it though - the effort is graphic :smile: 

That's how I feel when out jogging here in Muswell Hill (the clue is in the name!).

Great stuff Roger. What is the role of the guys on the front of the locos?

Miles