Spitfire Bonnet

rogerguzzi

Hello All

At last I am going to get the Bonnet I bought about 2 years ago repaired

My mates son is good at this sort of thing and we have both threatened him if he makes a pigs ear of it!

As you can see it is a new bonnet I do not know if is Triumph or Heritage! but who ever had cut a hole in the middle and fitted a Plastic GT6 hump!

I did think of using it like that but I thought what if the plastic hump lets it flex and crack the filler!

Now when I bought I was given a Steel hump as well so I have stripped all the filler and paint off it and it is sound just a couple of minor dings

Now the plan is to remove the plastic hump and cut the Steel hump the same then a few screws or those special things that hold plates together and plug weld through the holes and stich weld it in!

I do not mind it have a flange inside but I was worried if we try to fit it in the hole and butt weld it  may cause a lot of distortion and not sure if it would be as strong to resist the twisting etc!

Roger

ps it will be mates rates or build another motorcycle engine for him!

DSC01133.JPG

DSC01135.JPG

DSC01137.JPG

DSC01139.JPG

DSC01141.JPG

One has to wonder at the lunacy of chopping up a new bonnet in the first place.......

Not an easy fix.  Is your man used to welding thin sheet metal? I think butt weld is an option but would mean literally going around it a couple of tacks at a time in different locations and allowing cooling time. Much like we did with our GT6 tail repair.  Plug welds quite like to give local distortion due to the need to put a fair amount of heat in for it to work.

Hello All

Hello Nick yes I think he is and he seemed to think its not a problem!

I will text him to say be careful!!! but I thought that is how a lot of people join metal a joggled edge and plug weld and new wings?

Hello John I may be good but not that good(especially panel beating) it is one cut out of a GT6 bonnet (why I do not know)

Roger