Sign in to follow this  
mpbarrett

F1 interesting new steering system

Interesting new feature on Mercedes F1 car, the driver can change the toe out  of the front wheel as the car is driven. 
The video show Lewis pushing the wheel forward to change the wheel settings. I guess it changes the aero dynamics and the wear on the tyres.
Ferrari don't have it so will be banned next year...

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.tech-insight-have-mercedes-just-changed-the-game-with-new-steering-wheel.78KDOPX7xRy9YtaFZPCKC4.html

Mike

5 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

Ferrari don't have it so will be banned next year...

Cynic!  Probably accurate though - unless they come out with one half way through the season.

Clever though!

Already is banned for next year, still whilst following this I found out something interesting.  Mercedes wrote to the FIA for approval before running with the system, which they apparently got and therefore why they were confident that it was within the rules.  This is pretty standard practise and apparently most of the teams do it, the way it works is that teams write to the FIA and ask if e.g. they can use servo operated barge boards or whatever.  If the FIA agrees they write back to only that team informing them that it's ok, if they don't think it's within the rules then they write to *all* the teams to let them know that servo operated barge boards are a big fat no and if you're working on some you may as well stop now and save your money.  I thought that seemed a good system.

Ah but is adjusting the toe in/out part of the suspension or steering. This year it is steering next year it's suspension because it's not painted RED this year!

John I ( or is it 1?),

That could be the get out!

Richy,

Has it been banned?    If they got as far as test day, surely it'll be kosher for this year, at least.

Jhn

Edited by JohnD

Hi JohnD, it is john i.

This is extract from article by bbc F1 pundit re Merc fix! And yes it has been banned for next year.

"This is allowed under the 2020 rules because the relevant clause says only: "The front wheels are adjusted solely by the steering and under the full control of the driver."

But the 2021 rules contain a clause which says: "The alignment of the front wheels must only take place through a constant function of a rotational movement of a single steering wheel."

26 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Richy,

Has it been banned? 

It's allowed for 2020, they'll have to think up something else for next year, as John I says..