Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

Gearknob restoration

How to put back the white highlighting in the gate diagram on a gearknob?

One that is much worse than this example!

Image result for original Triumph gearknob

My ideas:  Clean the grooves out and spray with white paint (any particular type?), then  rub down the knob to remove the over-spray and leave the groove paint.     This may leave the knob with a dull finish, so spray that with lacquer?  (Again, any type?)   If it's going to be lacquered, would, say, 'SnoPaque', good old typescript correcting fluid, or white high-build primer fill the grooves better?    If they are filled then they will attract less dirt.

Anyone done this, or have a better technique?

John

I would ensure the grooves are well defined.  Paint the lines with 'Humbrol' gloss white enamel (model aircraft paint), then wipe the excess off with a cloth dampened (not wet) with thinners.

Thanks, Andy!   Certainly less work than my ideas!   Are (Is?) the thinners for enamel different to ordinary cellulose thinners?

J.

Yes, celly is far more aggressive. Enamel may use something more like white spirit, or  universal thinners. 

John

I tried this some years ago and discovered that the wear on the inside loops of the R, 2, 3 and 4 made it almost impossible to get any decent definition - it ended up looking like a certain well-known Spanish church icon restoration.

I then started looking at getting the script re-engraved and quickly realised that a fiver for a new one made much more sense.

Sorry to be so... defeatist.

Paul