Axle stands

I usually get frustrated with whichever axle stand i use. They are usually too short or just too long so im in and out under the car with blocks of wood, im sur youve been there. 

So i have just got 2 trench props and am in the process of making some fully adjustable stands that go up to about 750mm. If im hapy with them once i have fitted the triangulation bracing (25mm angle on order) i may well make a shorter pair from a shorter trench prop that they do.

20200219_172224.jpg

20200219_182209.jpg

Chippy,

That X of bars under the prop look like ?5mm steel.

But unbraced, they will just fold up under the weight of a car, if there is any lateral stress.   

At least, put some diagonal struts to the body of the prop.   Image result for Health and safety "homemade" axle stands

And don't make them of flat bar, use tube or angle.

But this  dangerous messing about just isn't worth it when you have a ton - A TON! - of vehicle above you.

You might as well be working like this: Image result for car propped up with wood

Better, get yourself some proper axle stands, like these: https://www.toolstation.com/axle-stand/p83498?store=KP&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnL7yBRD3ARIsAJp_oLZMO7aLQpN3865AUl7VFDuOsLoSnMpdOu-s8iylaUgHgO1i9mqEr7EaArCyEALw_wcB  

Image result for screw adjustable axle stands

They are much more finely adjustable than the usual type with a cross pin through the pillar.

OR, of course, you can have an axle stand with a screw, which is infinitely adjustable:

Go on, you KNOW it makes sense.   

John

Edited by JohnD

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

Chippy,

That X of bars under the prop look like ?5mm steel.

But unbraced, they will just fold up under the weight of a car, if there is any lateral stress.   

At least, put some diagonal struts to the body of the prop.   Image result for Health and safety "homemade" axle stands

And don't make them of flat bar, use tube or angle.

But this  dangerous messing about just isn't worth it when you have a ton - A TON! - of vehicle above you.

You might as well be working like this: Image result for car propped up with wood

Better, get yourself some proper axle stands, like these: https://www.toolstation.com/axle-stand/p83498?store=KP&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnL7yBRD3ARIsAJp_oLZMO7aLQpN3865AUl7VFDuOsLoSnMpdOu-s8iylaUgHgO1i9mqEr7EaArCyEALw_wcB  

They are much more finely adjustable than the usual type with a cross pin through the pillar.

OR, of course, you can have an axle stand with a screw, which is infinitely adjustable:

Go on, you KNOW it makes sense.   

John

Hi John  if you missed it I did say I was waiting for 25mm angle which was on order for the triangulation bracing,  I did want a pair of the type you have shown but I couldn't find any high enough for what I want.  What I do is drive on to my hydraulic ramps and the use the axle stands under the car so I can release one of the ramps and do suspension work. With my 4x4 the body is a long way up almost 700mm. The only one I could see that high was a traditional type so time to make some.

Cheers Steve

Thanks for explaining, Chippy.

700mm axle stands?  Certainly, Sir!  https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/11207-sealey-as10h-axle-stands-pair/ 

C1F03D87-284A-4A43-8357-D2E2B041AA51-large.jpg

You will note that the above design allows you to place the pin either on the top plate of lower plate, whihc is position halfway between the strut holes.   So, fine adjustment.

John

Edited by JohnD

6 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Thanks for explaining, Chippy.

700mm axle stands?  Certainly, Sir!  https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/11207-sealey-as10h-axle-stands-pair/ 

C1F03D87-284A-4A43-8357-D2E2B041AA51-large.jpg

You will note that the above design allows you to place the pin either on the top plate of lower plate, whihc is position halfway between the strut holes.   So, fine adjustment.

John

Fair enough but £325 wow.  Mine will have cost £70 for the pair when i'm finished and i'm 100% sure they will be as safe or safer.  

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

I like the trench prop method. Would probably have gone three legged though as my garage floor is rather lumpy - as demonstrated by the 4-legged stands we made for the torture rack.....:ermm:

I think i will add another 10mm plate and tap out to m18 on one of the legs and make an adjustable foot. The others will just get  solid steel packers directly under the bracing.

Steve

I've got some 3 ton pin type axle stands that I use for the Land Rover. I confess to a tinge of nervousness (probably healthy) when I've got the lump in the air, so I keep 3 ton trolley jacks under too. I have got some plastic ramps which I several years ago now, but I don't know the weight rating, so I certainly won't use them for the LR. For the TR, the scissor lift I have is just right for what I do. 

I could be tempted to get some steel ramps next.

Darren   

37 minutes ago, zetecspit said:

How high do they go? any link??

Similar to these but from a different seller, I think I would go with cjautos if i bought them again as one of the rams is weeping oil and not sure how easy it's going to be to get an exchange . They are bloody good though.

I actually bought 4 so i could do both pairs together but haven't tried that yet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/900kg-Hydraulic-Car-Ramps-Hydraulic-Car-Lifts-Adjustable-Low-Car-Ramps-CCC/303491148119?hash=item46a97b6957:g:RioAAOSwu1FdqK8p

1 hour ago, Chippy63 said:

Similar to these but from a different seller, I think I would go with cjautos if i bought them again as one of the rams is weeping oil and not sure how easy it's going to be to get an exchange . They are bloody good though.

I actually bought 4 so i could do both pairs together but haven't tried that yet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/900kg-Hydraulic-Car-Ramps-Hydraulic-Car-Lifts-Adjustable-Low-Car-Ramps-CCC/303491148119?hash=item46a97b6957:g:RioAAOSwu1FdqK8p

Thanks... I am still looking for a suitable lift solution for my garage. I have tried a tilting lifter, not ideal on a spitfire. I am not sure how high your ramps lift, from what I have ssem=n most go up to 400mm? My jack goes to 500mm, but the ramps have an advantage in they lift under the wheel. Hmmm....