PeterC

Covid 19, novel corona virus. Split from off-grid thread

Don't take anti inflammatory drugs, that's the government advice here, i trust them a bit more than your lot.

Yeah, I think it originated in France (that advice) though it seems that question marks have been raised before about possible adverse effects from that class of drug in some viral infections.

6 hours ago, GT6Steve said:

Has anyone heard of avoiding various pain pills during this period?  A UK friend has said they've had to stop their Naproxen for the duration?  I've seen no such advice here in the USA.  BTW, Las Vegas is expected to reach 27C this weekend so maybe nature will give us short term relief?

see video   recorded 10 Feb. advises against paracetamol. fever helps fight the virus

Thanks Peter. Do you have a link to the video of 10 February that you referred to above? 

Hope you are doing well. 

Darren

This is a fascinating account of the latest work:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/inside-the-race-to-develop-a-coronavirus-vaccine-covid-19

DNA/RNA vaccines are unlike any previous type.  They 'infect' with the genes to build a  part of a virus, that is produced by the recipient's own cells and becomes the antigen that the body's own immune systen responds to by building antibodies.       It is only possible because the Chinese worked out, so early, the genome sequence of CV19, and published it to the world.     Candidate vaccines were being designed within three weeks, but because animal and then human testing takes so long, we cannot expect a result for 12-18 months.    If ever, this type of vaccination has never been done before,    and the risks are obviously high.

Interesting that No 10 apparently think that claiming to have not received an email and consequently missing an EU deadline for joint purchasing of ventilators is preferred to their previous claim that we aren’t in the EU and we’ll go it alone.....

Although there was also a very public invite from the EU..... screened on TV.

Part of the go-it-alone strategy apparently includes awarding an order for 30000 ventilators to a vacuum cleaner manufacturing company who have never made a ventilator before. Nothing like awarding a ferry contract to a company with no ferries obviously.......

9 hours ago, TR5tar said:

Thanks Peter. Do you have a link to the video of 10 February that you referred to above? 

Hope you are doing well. 

Darren

Darren its embedded towards the bottom of that page.

An observation about testing and numbers published by Johns Hopkins.

Germany, which tests extensively, has the following figures this morning:

47,000 positive results, 281 deaths = mortality rate of 0.6%

The UK, which does not, has the following figures this morning:

11,500 positive results, 578 deaths (excluding all non-hospital deaths) = mortality rate of 5%

Being not dissimilar developed countries, it would seem reasonable to apply the German mortality rate to the UK figures and arrive at a more realistic infection-with-symptoms number of 100,000 (0.16% of the UK population).

Paul

4 hours ago, TR5tar said:

That was an interesting piece. But a bit early to see if CV is having an effect on overall death rates. Time will tell, meanwhile my mum is being picked up by an ambulance, she is displaying symptoms, and at best I reckon she has a 50% chance. (age, health etc etc) so worrying times. But she seems more relaxed when I spoke to her than she has for many weeks.

BoJo just tested positive.  I have no great love for pollies or royalty, and especially dislike BoJo's politics, but I think this might be a time to remember our humanity.  I hope both he and the POW, both of which are in higher risk categories, pull through, and learn from the experience.

5 minutes ago, zetecspit said:

That was an interesting piece. But a bit early to see if CV is having an effect on overall death rates. Time will tell, meanwhile my mum is being picked up by an ambulance, she is displaying symptoms, and at best I reckon she has a 50% chance. (age, health etc etc) so worrying times. But she seems more relaxed when I spoke to her than she has for many weeks.

I think you are right that it's too early to draw any conclusions from the data.

Sorry to hear that your mum is displaying symptoms and I hope it all goes well for her.  

Very best wishes to your mother Clive.

Hopefully she’ll be tested as promptly as Johnson and the appropriate action taken for your father.

Johnson (as noted above) and Hancock both tested positive. As I've read somewhere else a sign of the illness can be seen in the eyes, and Boris's looked awful in the clip on the news. They must both be run down by the pressure of all of this.

I'm going to have a little rant now - The Self Employed package announced including Tax due deferrals, seems pretty good to me - in fact the head of a small business/self employed organisation said so on TV yesterday. I am willing to be corrected/educated by those on here that are self employed, but it seems odd to me that the media are trying to wind this up as a poor deal for many self employed - looking for the ~5% of issues rather than the 95% good news?

I'm sure there will be some, a few, in real hardship but surely most have a contingency for the likely scenario of work drying up from time to time, they will have money coming in from invoices issued over the last month or two, they have a short tax holiday, and outgoings (as for all of us) will be reduced if following the guidance to stay at home. Yes some will have business/premises overheads I accept.

I would like to think many will seek alternative employment - supermarkets, even farms, or the NHS volunteer initiative - rather than just claim. For me, every pound of public purse money given out in employment/self employment assistance is a pound that isn't being spent on a Nurse or other front line Health need.

Am I being too harsh and grumpy?

..sorry, meant to add my very best wishes for your Mum Clive

Rod

Thanks chaps, appreciated. Not sure how it will pan out, she keeps her DNR notice on the kitchen table.... But the fact that she is calm is a relief.

And Nick, very much appreciate your comment.

All the best to your mum, Clive.

My 94 year-old dad had a minor heart attack last night and was taken into hospital.  With his residential home now closed to outsiders, my sisters are trying to find out what will happen when (or if...) he is released.

Paul