Covid 19, novel corona virus. Split from off-grid thread

As many may know, all motor racing has been cancelled in the UK and for the foreseeable, F1.   This is to complywit Gov advice, led,  of course, by science opnion.   Fine

In the US, things are different.    They are being advised to mask up, but the SVRA is planning a continued race programme, with modified procedures.  They tell me by email that:

We are very optimistic about this schedule, based on the data that is being shared today. Several changes to SVRA's processes have been made to support a safe environment and sustain social distancing, as we transition to SVRA's New Normal.   
Creating the safest possible experience Includes:
* New Registration proceedures
* New Tech proceedures
* New Podium process
* Outside Drivers Meeting supported with a good sound system
* No Fan Walks, Autograph sessions, or Hero Cards - to minimize crowds
* No gathering for parties or dinners. Working with tracks re: food vendors and lines
* Fans and spectators will not have assigned seating,
* Licensing waiver for expired medicals offered

These are just a few interim steps that we need to take so we can go racing. Things are not going to be the same for quite some time but getting back on the track will be a big step in the right direction.

Our sincere thanks and best wishes to competitors, crews, friends and families, we look forward to seeing you soon. 

The best of luck with that, our American cousins!    Who knows who is correct?

But in practice no one except the locals will be able to get there...... and it'll likely be cancelled yet as things are still getting worse in the USA.  

Interesting developments here today.  Senior Management was feeling a bit poorly Monday evening.  Minor temperature control issues and a bit of a cough.  She wasn't due to work Tuesday anyway, but spoke to her manager about it Tuesday morning who said, well, you are a "critical worker" get yourself tested.  Who knew it was even possible..... wasting tests on NHS staff when there are politicians and celebrities to test..... anyway, not only was it possible, it was efficient.  Form filled in online.  Phone call received 45mins later calling her for a drive-through test an hour after that.  And 24 hours later, a positive result.  For now at least, she's not actually feeling ill.  Just a bit weary and a bit of a dry cough.  We lesser mortals of the house, who must remain untested, are now wondering if she caught it from us, or if we will catch it from her......  The former is entirely possible, and if not, the latter inevitable.

Something still not right though.  A colleagues partner is a nurse, working with known C19 positive people.  Very sick people.  She can't get a test, or PPE...... though if she hasn't obviously had it by now, seems quite possible she's already had it and killed it.

Far more testing is needed.  Antibody tests..... that's what is needed. Why oh why is our Heath Minister today, only today, appealing for industry to get out there and develop a test.......  January would have been the right time for that!

Gosh, thinking of you all, but no prayers.

And what about it?  You are about to become members of the Herd!

If you don't keep broadcasting, then like the Captain of a Vanguard nuclear sub, who doesn't hear the Archers, we will assume the worst!

Best wishes

John

Yeah. Members of the herd. Immunity is good.  Though apart from her, we’ll not know for sure as we won’t be tested.

Apparently she won’t be tested again either, current advice is if you’re feeling ok after 7 days you are good to go back to to work, though the people you live with are supposed to wait another 7 days.

Tip-toeing onto possibly thin ice, on the news last night I heard about the disproportionate number of black people succumbing to Covid-19 in America, with the BBC reporter citing socio-economic factors and America's troubled history of racial equality. They also mentioned the backgrounds of several of the NHS staff in this country who have died. Couldn't help wondering about the vitamin D angle as detailed in this thread, and indeed there's a letter to the BMJ which cites our own PeterC and goes into a bit of detail about vit D levels in different groups. https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m810/rr-46

I don't mean to suggest that economic and social factors aren't important if there are different outcomes by ethnic background, but there might be a less sinister dimension to the cause. 

There are links further up in this thread which are going in the same direction and do suggest that such groups may be more vulnerable to severe CV illness due to low D3 levels.  The main thrust of the argument being that darker skinned people need more sun to generate D3 and this is compounded by diet, location, spending alot of time indoors (working hard most likely), stress and diet.  Plausible and some circumstantial evidence.  

4 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

Tip-toeing onto possibly thin ice, on the news last night I heard about the disproportionate number of black people succumbing to Covid-19 in America, with the BBC reporter citing socio-economic factors and America's troubled history of racial equality. They also mentioned the backgrounds of several of the NHS staff in this country who have died. Couldn't help wondering about the vitamin D angle as detailed in this thread, and indeed there's a letter to the BMJ which cites our own PeterC and goes into a bit of detail about vit D levels in different groups. https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m810/rr-46

I don't mean to suggest that economic and social factors aren't important if there are different outcomes by ethnic background, but there might be a less sinister dimension to the cause. 

D3  deficiency does have a  socio-ecconomic element, a strong one. David Grimes book sums it up in the context of heart disease and cholesterol, and D3.

image.png.2f57fe9aba55f7391c78274ae07c7e48.png

Poor diet (no oily fish), heliophobia (slipslapslop), style of clothing.  (religion, convention), no opportunity to sunbathe( no garden), dark skin  pigment,..............all contribute to low D3. Latitude, weather (clouds), altitude, air pollution (UV) very important. Fascinating amalysis of disease data. If you think high cholesterol causes heart attacks, this book provides and often plain-speaking rebuttal.

We are trying to get the message out:

8 minutes ago, PeterC said:

Lucky readers then, better informed on D3 than by any broadsheet.

As are we here by you Peter!

Diana and I are both 8 days now into our 2000iu per day dose. Planning to do this for another three weeks at least, and then start again come late September - unless there is better advice....?

2 hours ago, Rod1883 said:

As are we here by you Peter!

Diana and I are both 8 days now into our 2000iu per day dose. Planning to do this for another three weeks at least, and then start again come late September - unless there is better advice....?

Rod,   The best advisor to my mind is this GP/academic who treats his pts routinely to get their serum level up to around 100 nmol/L:

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m810/rr-44

I take 5000 IU pd and shall all summer, sunbathing being infrquent in Wales. As we age we take up D3 slower fomr the gut, synthesise it slower in sunlight, and it becomes less effectiive as a hormone. So, although 5000 sounds a lot more than 2000 I follow his advice (but have taken more in the past.) For comparison, a young white adult in full sun can make 20,000 IU per day. I doubt the scottish sun will be reliable enough to do that for you.

Peter

Thank you Peter.

Perhaps we'll continue to take the dose a little longer then. We are both just into our 60's, but we are in West Sussex (not Scotland) and so we do see the sun in the Summer - the last few days have been glorious.

Keep well everyone.

Senior Management appears to have already mostly recovered save for a lingering bark. Now attempting to manage her empire from a laptop.

Wasn't feeling great myself yesterday afternoon /evening. Felt like the onset of a cold with headache, scratchy throat and generally feeling rough. Also significant postural hypotension. Enough to stop me climbing a ladder to strip the old felt off a shed roof! Extra dose of D3 at bedtime. Not feeling quite right this morning - gravity is pulling harder than usual, but still fit for light duties.

Of course I’ll not know for sure whether I can consider myself “salted” unless there is ever a reliable antibody test rolled out but I reckon I’ll have the next best reasons to think so......