• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/9/2020 at 2:25 PM, Nick Jones said:

I’ve got 4kW worth on the house facing just east of south. We make more than we use annually. I’ve got room for another 4kW +on the house and for at least another 8kW on the garage. But I can only get paid for 4kW.

Indeed, modern high efficiency panels have changed the metric. 
Im looking into using some to charge a storage heater to keep the garages toasty.

Hi Peter,

most people that can 'make do and mend' at present will probably not be here by that date.

All that follow in our wake would have trouble fitting a new  watch battery.

Petrol and diesel will be here for a considerable time after 2035.

Roger

Service life of modern cars is 7 years - main dealers won’t touch any car over 10 years now,

A few tweaks to the MOT would see most cars over 7 years old sent to the great scrapyard in the Sky. There would be very few ICE cars left by 2040.

there is method in the governments logic - car makers have development cycles. 2032 means there is only one more ICE design generation left - any ICE car shipped after 2027 won’t recover its costs. Ergo, they will give up of their own accord after the current model cycle.

On 2/9/2020 at 1:14 PM, Scooter said:

Biggest producers of solar panels is China And the EU used to put 65% tarrifs on them. 

cheap solar panels will make home generation the norm, not something for the rich.

my workshop has 60m2 of south facing roof.

Near Cambridge they are building 12000 new houses in a new town and none of them have solar panels installed. Such a wasted opportunity the cost would be low but I guess it would hit the house builders profits. But I wonder if the network could cope with so many solar panels all feeding power back into the grid (at east during the day time)...

mike

19 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Peter,

most people that can 'make do and mend' at present will probably not be here by that date.

All that follow in our wake would have trouble fitting a new  watch battery.

We need more people to watch the BBC The Repair Shop. :)

Mike

1 hour ago, mpbarrett said:

Near Cambridge they are building 12000 new houses in a new town and none of them have solar panels installed. Such a wasted opportunity the cost would be low but I guess it would hit the house builders profits. But I wonder if the network could cope with so many solar panels all feeding power back into the grid (at east during the day time)...

mike

Perish the thought that the god of profit and ludicrously large payouts to a few already unreasonably rich people could be sacrificed in the cause of something so trivial as the earths climate......:mad:

I have just come back from Sainsburys and noted that they had fresh Cherries for sale.

They came all the way from Chile and not by hand cart.

So we have to change our life style but no thought of stopping the carbon miles or whatever it is called on these petty luxury items.

I appreciate that the folk in Chile need the exports but it makes our efforts look all in vain.

Roger

12 hours ago, Scooter said:

Service life of modern cars is 7 years - main dealers won’t touch any car over 10 years now,

A few tweaks to the MOT would see most cars over 7 years old sent to the great scrapyard in the Sky. There would be very few ICE cars left by 2040.

there is method in the governments logic - car makers have development cycles. 2032 means there is only one more ICE design generation left - any ICE car shipped after 2027 won’t recover its costs. Ergo, they will give up of their own accord after the current model cycle.

OTOH if ecars are not available together with a suitable nation wide charging network and expanded grid supply, UK will grind to a halt. It is possible that make do and mend will be forced upon main agants to keep 15 year old  running.

PHEVs are ideal as bridging technology. Providing rare earth supply for the magnets is not limiting, but it likely is.

4 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

mike

Simplest to use solar pv with an immersion heater, so feed into grid not an inhibition. Or air-con in summer.

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

I have just come back from Sainsburys and noted that they had fresh Cherries for sale.

They came all the way from Chile and not by hand cart.

So we have to change our life style but no thought of stopping the carbon miles or whatever it is called on these petty luxury items.

I appreciate that the folk in Chile need the exports but it makes our efforts look all in vain.

Roger

Hi Roger, I dont see how democratically elected politicinas can act efffectvely to curb consumption of anything. My carbon footprint has soared since I was a lad in the early '50s. We ate seasonal food, heated one room, no central heating, frost on the inside of bedroom windows, no car, father walked to work, no foreign holidays or fresh food ( peppers were unknwon), except bananas that came by ship. Were we all to revert to that perfectly healthy lifestyle then GWCC could be slowed without untried technologies. But no politician promoting it would last beyond the next election. 

We didnt have a telly either. Nowadays our digital world creates as much CO2 as Belgium....so we can see disaster coming, but are helpless to prevent it.

Peter

5 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Perish the thought that the god of profit and ludicrously large payouts to a few already unreasonably rich people could be sacrificed in the cause of something so trivial as the earths climate......:mad:

You must have a council and housing associations like near me. By strange hap stance, a big bung of money they were given to encourage solar panels was all spent on putting panels and reaping the then large feed in tarrifs on their own offices etc.

I think its in the new planning laws isn't it? you must meet eco targets for your buildings, the easiest way is to bung a solar panel on it! I must be cynical in my old age but i question how much benefit they have in the small size panels new builds are getting.

@Nick Jones   I thought the payback had ended for solar? did the government not end their rebate? or is that from your supplier you are getting paid?

Yes, no more subsidies for new entrants (which has pretty much killed the domestic PV industry).

However, all those already signed up are on 20 year deals at whatever level was prevailing at the time plus inflation. I’ve got 15 years to go..... In theory. Depends on whether you consider the government trustworthy.......:ermm: