Modern car dismantling

Did you think that a cars end up at the scrappers, being cut apart by grubby guys wielding gas axes, or were just put into a giant crusher, that reduces them to a cube of steel, with a few impurities?   Oh, no!    Watch this!    It's far more like a hawk, plucking and  disembowelling its prey, as each system is removed by a giant digger/grabber, each tidbit being deposited in the right skip.      It's so like that as to be in the "Uncanny Valley" inhabited by humanoid robots!

Edited by JohnD

20 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

What a fun and very powerful machine.
If that was 17 year old Triumph (or any other 1960's car)  it would have completely rusted away and just be a pile of oxide...

Mike

Clio Mk.IIs are annoyingly well engineered compared to many small cars, the steel is thin but they are galvanised (or terne coated?) and the front wings are plastic, never seen a properly rusty one. However, they are almost completely soulless. Not sure how common galvanising is in general, but PSA definitely dabbled in it too?

My favourite local one mostly uses a gas-axe and an ancient Manitou.  You can cause alot of destruction with a Manitou.  He also has a big flat weight he drops on the shells to flatten them for shipping out.  Recently they had a Hillman Hunter in there.  Rustiest car I've ever seen that wasn't actually in pieces though it did have some cracks.  Apparently when they dropped the weight on that there wasn't much left apart from a big cloud of red dust and the roof panel.......

Or there's this method

My local scrapper turns cars with no demand for parts into chipped scrap in skips in 20 minutes.

its over, there will be none more ‘classics’ after the 80’s cars.

try restoring any not so old Vauxhall, trim is NLA. 7 years after production and parts stocks are now scrapped.