Camshaft Line boring on 6 cylinder

Can anybody point me in the direction of a reputable/good engineering firm or individual who has the equipment and knows how to use it properly to line bore the camshaft journals in a Vitesse/ gt6 block. Hopefully they will have many good results under their belt. Near to Dorking/Guildford area would be great but I don't mind travelling ........a bit! 

Cheers

john

Many thanks Redrooster and Roger.

Nick,

that sounds as though you've had a night mare at some time in the past. Reason for considering it was as part of the upgrade to my 2l mk1 block. I have a mk2 head and want to replace the 18/58 cam with a new Newmans grind either standard 25/35 or a little bit hotter. So if I'm going to put in new I might as well make sure the journals it runs in are in the best condition I can achieve.

17 minutes ago, John I said:

that sounds as though you've had a night mare at some time in the past. Reason for considering it was as part of the upgrade to my 2l mk1 block. I have a mk2 head and want to replace the 18/58 cam with a new Newmans grind either standard 25/35 or a little bit hotter. So if I'm going to put in new I might as well make sure the journals it runs in are in the best condition I can achieve.

You could say that.  You are certainly right to be seeking out a machine shop with the right equipment and a proven track record with this job.  It's tricky because it's quite a small bore and long.  Bitter experience suggests that anyone who says they can do it from both ends and end up with a straight line is best avoided!

My original point though is that in general the cam bores survive well and don't often actually need remedial work.  While I can certainly understand the desire to fit bearings because they are a "better engineering solution", the reality is that unless you are planning a very aggressive cam / strong valve springs and high rpms (ie full race use), they are not needed and the (significant) sum involved might be better spent elsewhere.

Incidently, if you would prefer to start with a very early Mk2 block (ie already has the correct thread sizes for the mk2 head), I have one sat here doing nothing.  It would need boring but is currently std, has all it's main caps and no damage to the thrust areas.  Very reasonable price as it's bitten my shins once or twice too often!

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

My original point though is that in general the cam bores survive well and don't often actually need remedial work.  While I can certainly understand the desire to fit bearings because they are a "better engineering solution", the reality is that unless you are planning a very aggressive cam / strong valve springs and high rpms (ie full race use), they are not needed and the (significant) sum involved might be better spent elsewhere.

I would agree, If anything get the current bore checked if you're worried about it but if I was going to put money anywhere I'd want to make sure that the mains and piston bores were correctly aligned. 

Thanks gents all very wise words indeed. As I'm only using it as a road car I will have the original bores checked once I get round to stripping the block down. Management has plenty of other jobs for me as we are rebuilding/renovating our house at present!

Thanks for the offer Nick, I will see what condition this short block is in as it was only reconditioned about 20k ago but that was also 20years ago. I may end up helping your shins after all, if it still available when I have done the necessary dusting off and inspection on my lump.

Thanks again.

Derby Racing Services in, guess where, Derby, have been doing Triumph 6 cyl line boring for years.

They did mine in 2011, and motor has done in excess of 70K of hard miles, and no issues, so can confirm they are good at what they do.

Derby Racing Services Ltd

Manchester Street Derby DE22 3GA Tel: 01332 362794 Fax: 01332 370888 Email: sales@DerbyRacingServices.co.uk

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Ivor Searle did mine.  Front bearing was oval, I wasn't happy with it.

They definitely know what they're doing (they also did my small ends bushes after another machine shop buggered it up.

Ring them, they send vans round picking stuff up, you might be able to leave the block with a local garage (I gave mine a box of biscuits for the 'service'), and Ivor S pick it up FoC....!

https://ivorsearle.co.uk/