First time under the old girl

I knew the car needed work and I have been acquiring parts over the years.

As can be seen I have a replacement bulkhead and a 13/60 chassis that I will mod to MK2 Vitesse spec with wishbone bracket and I will make my own lower shock  mounts so it looks correct. Might even fit a t shirt plate under the car as well. 

Luckily I saved a spare tyre well from a car I wrecked a few years back.

What surprised me is the extensions welded onto the chassis to shift the shock uppers out, this is better than the previous attempt which was bolting the shocks into the floor on the diff hump. All done by qualified mechanics!

The replacement siderails are a bit thicker then standard and the square crush tubes are interesting.

I have good doors to go on to her so the only body part that will be a challenge is the rear tub but as Nick said I have a bit of welding to look forward too.

Last month I picked up a NOS right rear guard from saloon which I can use.

Hi Nick From what I can gather not a lot of Mk2 Vitesse where sold new in NZ. There is a NZ assembled Vitesse in the country but that would be a rare beast. I wrecked for parts one of two Mk2 saloons in the country back in the 90's. It was rotten and I just took the mechanicals.  I dont have to hand much history of the car but I would guess it was imported from the UK at sometime, that rust is not usual for NZ cars unless it was submerged.This was the first Vitesse I looked at buying when I was 18 but the owner kept upping the price, I ended up getting in the 90's as the car you see here.  Instead I bought a 6 that I still have and must get round to finishing:blush:

Once I get onto the convertible it will be the third Vitesse and second convertible I will have rebuilt so it had better be the best of the lot, you nlearn an awful lot from the first one!

Looks like a good project. I recently  finished a Vitesse, took a lot longer than I imagined, work etc. and found lots more to do once I started digging, 16 years later and it's on the road. If I did it again, I would throw nothing away until completed, and where ever possible patch and repair rather than replace. I had nightmares with repro panels. If you can, use NOS parts or cut from doner vehichle's, it could save a lot of time and grief in my experience.

Mark

17 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I see some welding in your future......... :huh:

Madame Nickla, Queen of Fortune Tellers!    Sees all, tells all,  knows all!

You seem to have most of a second car in and around the one you have, ahebron!  

John