Sign in to follow this  
Martin

GT6 gearbox input shaft spigot

Hi all,

the input shaft has markings from the spigot bearing. I assume it stood too long. Mainshaft Diameter is 12.697. Thus good.

Has anybody considered opening up the Input shaft in a lathe and use cup needle rollers?

Cheers Martin

input shaft.jpg

Presumably they are deep enough to feel?  Odd...... brinelled I assume, though I'm struggling to see what could have done it. 

Your should be able to get a drawn cup (torrington) needle roller set that goes in there without machining.  Not a great solution in my view as they are very enclosed and don't get enough oil to live long......

Lubrication is marginal anyway IMO.......

P1180908s.jpg

......look at what I started with  when I got one machined out at the beginning of the year, partly because the hardening was worn through in places and partly because I upgraded to a large tip mainshaft.  This was done without too much trouble with a tipped tool (but the guy who did it really knows his stuff and even he took advice from his tool supplier first) then I fitted a bearing with outer sleeve.  You could also take the opportunity to go bigger and put an inner sleeve over the mainshaft tip to protect it.  The other thing I did was to get a hole drilled through the root of the gear to the back of the bearing cavity so oil would be pumped through the bearing by the meshing action. 

P1180948s.jpg

P1180924s.jpg

P1180924s.jpg

The later single-rail parts have an oil hole drilled through to the actual bearing surface though not from the tooth root (i have heard that some of the latest Stag boxes did have it done that way though)

P1180925s.jpg

This one is a '78 Dolly 1850 input shaft.  All parts of this bearing system were in fine shape even though the layshaft and inside of the laygear cluster were completely ruined.

1 hour ago, Martin said:

…..  the gearbox number has WE as a prefix …..

Early Dolly 1850 IIRC?  OD or non-OD?

P1180922s.jpg

WE prefix and with D-type Overdrive.

I think I will have a look what bearings are available. Ideally with 1/2 Inch inner diameter and an outer diameter bigger than 18.6mm. Enlarding the Input shaft shouls not be a Problem 

That one is part roller and part angular contact roller (does thrust as well) - you want a simple roller.

I used this one (one in the pics) with the 18mm tip mainshaft

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=8372&vat_inc=true&gclid=CjwKCAiA__HvBRACEiwAbViuUwu1OnREHjVUUXZ1ZMDBAOvYDbtueRShPsCYKKQF-O00cjAwfFeBJxoCeDcQAvD_BwE

Might be possible to find an inner sleeve for this or alternatively choose something like these

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Bearings-Needle-Roller-Bearings-Needle-Roller-NA-Series-Needle-Roller/c3_29_4486/index.html

or quick and dirty - use the drawn-cup Torrington type which might not need any machining at all (I forget what size the ID of the input shaft is) -

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Bearings-Needle-Roller-Bearings-Needle-Roller-Drawn-Cup-Shell-Type-All-Drawn-Cup-Needle-Roller-Bearings/c3_29_31_6135/index.html

but definitely should think about extra lubrication methods......