Prequel to "Stag intake manifold take 2"

Hi Chippy,

I assume you have a square section male that is pushed into the round Ali and the welded steel box stops it at the correct dimension.

You may be lucky and achieve the same with mild steel. It is possible that it may split at the corners.

Or you could hold the male former in a vice and gently push down on the round tube; at the same time using a wooded/rubber hammer panel beat the tube to shape.

Mild steel likes a good beating.

Roger

Here i'm using a jig to get the position of the injector sockets on the inlet tubes. The first time i drilled the tubes after i had welded on the sockets but this pulled up a lot of Ali which made a mess of the important part where the o rings seal which then had to be polished so this time i'm going to pre-drill the tubes where the injectors are before i weld the sockets on.

20191109_210207 (600x800).jpg

20191109_210217 (800x600).jpg

20191109_212542 (600x800).jpg

36 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Best way to do it I think. I made a jig for the Spitfire manifolds. Yours looks rather better though.

Are you taking orders?

This one is a swap with Neil Brown, may be you know of him has lots of triumphs Tr250 with efi stag engine. 2.5 estate with stag engine. A stag with efi ,a 2 door Toledo with rover v8 . Anyway im building him a set up like mine and he his doing the same work on a pair of heads of mine as he did to his which has achieved 250 bhp and 220ftlb of torque once fitted with fast road cams and 4-2-1 exhaust manifolds.

4 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

AKA The Flying Farmer?

250bhp is more like the output a 3L V8 should produce! Hope the rest of the drivetrain is feeling strong.....

Mine is, Neil is using std stag stuff and its holding together ok and he seems to do plenty of miles. As you say the flying farmer thats him.

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

so what are you using......?

Well I've still got the stag OD box but I've got sd1 clutch cover with Tilton CSC, larger propshaft about 100mm iirc and a complete BMW e30 rear subframe conversion with disc brakes , CJ driveshafts and a whole host of diff ratios available to me. Currently 1:3.46 but have a 1:3.64 in the work shop.

Steve

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

BMW rear is a good call. Wonder about the Stag ‘box...... I know it’s the strongest of the big T boxes but even so......

I have gathered other parts(bell housing and adaptor plate) with the view to getting a stronger box like one from a supra for future transplant.

• 3 weeks later...