Sign in to follow this  
zetecspit

Diff washers?

My friend Pete has just been down. And he has a diff or 2 to build, but cant get hold of the dished thrust washers.

They must be available somewhere, as all the recon diffs must have them fitted. So does anybody know a source. A bit of google time has not helped :sad: Rimmers and Moss list them all. As not available. Which is not helpful.

Not available as far as I could find anywhere. I have a deep suspicion that they are being replaced from NOS by the reconditioners or they are re-using the "better" ones they can find.

I think the options are re-use or buy some bronze sheet roughly the right thickness and make some.

You may be right. Many diffs seem to have them missing, and I guess you fit whatever you can get... 

Pete gets on well with MP, he may save it for Stoneleigh.

Cheers chaps.

Now on with my search for decent TR7 engine parts....

I've had some success electroplating a few thousandth of copper on the worn ones.

Ed

On 10/26/2019 at 6:00 PM, zetecspit said:

Many diffs seem to have them missing

These would be the later ones, fitted with fibre ones from the factory.  They just dissolve and vanish without trace.

2 hours ago, ed_h said:

I've had some success electroplating a few thousandth of copper on the worn ones.

That's clever...... never tried anything like that.  How do they hold up?

11 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

That's clever...... never tried anything like that.  How do they hold up?

The plated washers reduced the backlash to zero.  Copper is  softer than bronze, so i expect that they could wear a little faster than originals.  OTOH, my washers appeared to have all of the wear on the gear side.  Since I plated both sides, even if all the new copper eventually wears away from the gear side, they will still be thicker than i found them.

To answer your question, the car restoration is still a work in progress, so no road time on the diff yet.

Ed

DSC07088a.JPG

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

These would be the later ones, fitted with fibre ones from the factory.  They just dissolve and vanish without trace.

I thought the fibre washers were flat ones?