Sign in to follow this  
PaulAA

TR6 ride height

Well, now...

The springs I ordered from Rimmers were 216275UR for the rear and 213165UR for the front.  Rimmers advised that the front would be about 1" lower than stock and the rear about 3/4" lower.  But now that they are installed, the car sits a good half inch higher than on the old springs.

My spanner man tells me that the fronts were about half an inch shorter than the ones they replaced, but the rears were the same length.

I believe I may have taken the wrong advice and c*cked it up...

Paul

Paul,

Sorry that you seem to be following me to the madhouse I spent three months there with my car. Could I ask how you know that they are not 1" lower than stock? Perhaps your car was on old tired springs and sitting lower. You now have the advantage that the car is sitting on "known" springs at a measurable ride height.

If you now measure the height of the car how much lower would you like the car to be than it is now? 

Alan

1 hour ago, PaulAA said:

Well, now...

The springs I ordered from Rimmers were 216275UR for the rear and 213165UR for the front.  Rimmers advised that the front would be about 1" lower than stock and the rear about 3/4" lower.  But now that they are installed, the car sits a good half inch higher than on the old springs.

My spanner man tells me that the fronts were about half an inch shorter than the ones they replaced, but the rears were the same length.

I believe I may have taken the wrong advice and c*cked it up...

Paul

Paul,  Were the srpings that came off original, and if so did USA cars of your year have softer-than-UK springs ?  Peter

Thanks, Alan & Peter

The rear springs were stock European items, installed new about two years ago and are therefore a more or less known quantity.  I measured the top of wheel arch height at the time they were replaced and again just before plumping for the UR springs - 27" on both occasions.

The fronts are indeed an unknown quantity, but there is a label on them and I will check it when I get the car and old springs back from Spanner Man - it is still in the workshop and won't be ready before the weekend.

I'm slightly ashamed to admit that lowering the car is driven 25% by the desire to stop the rear end slapping the deck under acceleration and 75% by vanity - the '6 looks better lower.

Paul

Paul,

I have just been and measured my car and my wheel arches are similarly 27" ground to arch. Typically when measuring suspension the measurement taken is from centre of the wheel to the wheel arch when parked on level ground, mine measure 385mm  about 15.2" this measurement is derived from the springs (and the spring collars and any spacers fitted). The ground to wheel arch measurement is influenced too much by tyre sizes - just think low profile tyres vs standard on the same diameter rims.

As I wrote previously the height on my car clears most road humps and the car is very front /rear stable (pitch). I would guess that your rear end squatting (pitching)was emphasised by low spring rate on the rear springs perhaps emphasised by light damper restriction which might allow the rear to squat too quickly as the initial torque hits before it eases as the car moves forwards.

With the new front springs being half inch shorter that will have the effect of raising the rear bumper  as long as the old and new springs are similarly rated. If the new springs are higher rated then they will obviously not compress as far at rest and the rear of the car will be raised less.

Tyre pressures also influence ride height and pitching I use 20psi front and 26 rear. I arrived at this spending half a day driving the same route with differing pressures - but that is really dependent on tyre sizes, make / model of tyre and road surface; yet more variables in the equation. 

You obviously need a road test to quantify what the new springs have done to the car's pitching and clearance, I hope you are pleasantly surprised.

Alan

15 hours ago, AB|W said:

Paul,

I have just been and measured my car and my wheel arches are similarly 27" ground to arch. Typically when measuring suspension the measurement taken is from centre of the wheel to the wheel arch when parked on level ground, mine measure 385mm  about 15.2" this measurement is derived from the springs (and the spring collars and any spacers fitted). The ground to wheel arch measurement is influenced too much by tyre sizes - just think low profile tyres vs standard on the same diameter rims.

As I wrote previously the height on my car clears most road humps and the car is very front /rear stable (pitch). I would guess that your rear end squatting (pitching)was emphasised by low spring rate on the rear springs perhaps emphasised by light damper restriction which might allow the rear to squat too quickly as the initial torque hits before it eases as the car moves forwards.

With the new front springs being half inch shorter that will have the effect of raising the rear bumper  as long as the old and new springs are similarly rated. If the new springs are higher rated then they will obviously not compress as far at rest and the rear of the car will be raised less.

Tyre pressures also influence ride height and pitching I use 20psi front and 26 rear. I arrived at this spending half a day driving the same route with differing pressures - but that is really dependent on tyre sizes, make / model of tyre and road surface; yet more variables in the equation. 

You obviously need a road test to quantify what the new springs have done to the car's pitching and clearance, I hope you are pleasantly surprised.

Alan

Hi Alan

Many thanks for the feedback and advice - very helpful.  I should be picking the car up this afternoon and will report back!

Paul

Drive it about a bit. They will settle, though from a quality perspective, better they don’t settle too much!

Does seem to be an element of witchcraft involved. Was surprised (but pleased) when my front springs turned out as intended, though in reality I’d simply reinvented something already known and bought them from a decent manufacturer.