Engine cant angle, 2L/2.5L saloons

JohnD

Can anyone tell me the angle to which the engine was canted in the 2/2.5L saloons, for a lower bonnet line?

I'v e bought a saloon engine to rebuild for the Vitesse, and it comes with the inlet manifold, that is angled, upwards, to mount the carbs horizontally on the original installation.   But that would push them up through the bonnet of a Vitesse where the engine is vertical.     The flange on the inner end of the manifold looks to be thick enough to machine, to mount the carbs horizontal, but what was the angle?

Anyone else done this?   Thanks!

John

Thank you, SpitNL!   

The Witor page says that "Next the 75 models where fitted SUHS6 carburettors with their longer inlet manifold. To allow airbox to strut turret clearance the engine was moved to the left approximately 1/2". having 2 packing pieces on the right and none on the left"  That would acheive the clearance by tilting the engine some  more, rather than by shifting it to the left, wouldn't it?    And as that 'mod' is described as including 2500TC models, that would include this engine? 

BUT!   Number is MG193764HE, which Canley's list as a MKII PI model!    So this engine must have started out that way, and aquired carburettors later.   Which means the inlet manifold could be from any saloon model!     And I have no idea of which angle to use!  Ho HUm! 

Thanks for the help!

JOhn

I thought it was 6 degrees,i have an HS6 manifold that has been skimmed to take out the angle that i never used,with the Vitesse engine mounts bolted on the engine is upright,and i have a standard long tract HS6 manifold with short dashpots which fits fine,mine is also a MK11 PI engine in a Vitesse(and saloon box).

Steve

16 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I always understood it was 7 degrees......

Thinking about it, the carb mounting face should be at 90 Deb to the plane of the manifold and you just need to make the head face parallel to that.

Good thought/thinking, Nick!    A good machine shop should be able to line that up.

JOhn

16 hours ago, JohnD said:

Thank you, SpitNL!   

The Witor page says that "Next the 75 models where fitted SUHS6 carburettors with their longer inlet manifold. To allow airbox to strut turret clearance the engine was moved to the left approximately 1/2". having 2 packing pieces on the right and none on the left"  That would acheive the clearance by tilting the engine some  more, rather than by shifting it to the left, wouldn't it?    And as that 'mod' is described as including 2500TC models, that would include this engine? 

16 hours ago, JohnD said:

BUT!   Number is MG193764HE, which Canley's list as a MKII PI model!    So this engine must have started out that way, and aquired carburettors later.   

John if you remove a float chamber and pull the leveling grommet, it will tell you the angle that sits the floats horizontally- then you can work backwards no? I went to an art school, so my math would be far too shit to help however. Incidentally, you will have to replace that grommet with something more horizontal- ala- http://sucarb.co.uk/float-chambers-spares/float-bowl-chamber-adaptors.html

Thanks, RB, its not leveling the carbs I want to do, but to lower them, to bring them down by lowering the outer end of the manifold.

I think Nick's point will be the best way.     Clamp long straight edges - bricky's spirit levels? -  to the innder and outer faces, so that the edges intersect, measure the angle.

Thanks, All,

John

John, download a spirit level app for your phone.

Put manifold on kitchen worktop (check it is level, should be) with head side of manifold flat on the surface. Then just measure the angle at the carb end. Simple is good. Though the apps seem to vary a bit, but it what I used when measuring uj angles with eventual success.