Sign in to follow this  
PaulAA

TR6 half shafts

Chaps

Evidently, one of the half shafts on the TR6 is coming to the end of its life.  To cut to the chase, two questions:

- original or CV?

- what's the best source/manufacturer?

I've tried searching, both here and at The Other Place, but there seems to be no consensus.  Opinions and guidance would be much appreciated.

Paul

The decision process might depend a bit on whether you consider the original hub and wheel bearing arrangement adequate or not. My view is that they are ok for normal road service.

IIRC, most of the CV conversions also have new hub and bearings as part of the deal and are consistently rather more expensive.

Yes indeed, if the hubs are the original ones then they will be  a good number of years old with possibly an associated high mileage.

If you want to stick with the stanbdard drive shafts then it may be worth )peace of mind) renewing (not refurbing) the hubs.

If, and it is a big if, you go for refurbed hubs then the stub axle MUST MUST be replaced with new.

Roger

Agree with the above. Fatigue issue with a key way(?) can lead to occasional wheel loss.  More a case of old age than inadequate original design though. Big saloons similarly affected.

Thank you, chaps - much appreciated.

Even though I have to confess to occasionally taking the odd deserted roundabout sideways, I will stick with the factory spec, not least because the CV conversions are indeed eye-wateringly expensive.

There has always been a 'clonk' on take-up, but it's been the same 'clonk' for years and the parlous state of the left driveshaft only became apparent when a fresh 'clonk' appeared last week and I went into the pit to investigate.  So I have the inept installer of the lever arm dampers, which were dangling by their loose bolts, to thank for this discovery.

I'm assuming, Roger, that the best solution for either new or reconditioned is the complete half shaft and hub assembly?

Paul

Hi Paul,

the shafts are either knackered or new - buy two new ones from Proptech Ltd Kidederminster.

The hubs - if they are old (they could be 50 years old) or done many many miles - 100,000+ then consider a new hub (£250 each) or if refurb'd ensure it has a new stub axle within.

It is the stub axle that fails and allows your wheel to overtake you.

if you go for new shafts and hubs then you are into CV shaft expense territory.

Roger

Thanks, chaps

Advice noted and I will stick to the original Triumph specification.  I have no reason to believe that the whole rear axles isn't factory original, so celebrating its forty-fifth birthday.

Paul

Worth noting that if you decide to get the hubs and bearings rebuilt (with new stub axles), the design is somewhat, errrm, idiosyncratic (polite version), and it is essential to get the work done by someone who knows how to do it properly and has the right tools.  Giving the job to your local spanner monkey will end badly!

Hi Nick

Rebuilding them is not an option - my spanner monkey is a man with a single garage and a pit...  So the plan is either new/refurbed units complete or the half shafts and stubs'n'hubs separately.

Paul

DSC_4056.thumb.JPG.cbd4fa97d0df7618d2dddf65f69d2010.JPG