EU brings in 'right to repair' rules for appliances..

richy_rich

Hello DeTRacted,

that is in the proposed legislation, and also the manuals. However they specify spares to be supplied withing 15 days, which is not a lot of use for a fridge or freezer if it's not cooling?

Incidentally we are still using an old fashioned Creda electric oven because we cannot find a new one with the same features, high level grill top oven combined, main oven and a warming drawer for plates and cooked food. Spares are quite hard to get and I've fitted industrial temperature controllers for both ovens. I haven't a clue how old it is but it still keeps going.

Alec

15 hours ago, richy_rich said:

Something close to many of our hearts :)

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49884827

Appreciate the thought but not sure it will make any practical difference unless the price of spares is controlled and the price of the repairman. Economics will always dictate and most people are lazy and like new things.....

Cynical..... or realistic....... you decide.

• 3 weeks later...

The manufacturers will just find another way round it, take Apple for instance, the new Macbook Pros have some chips on them that you cannot buy, they are only made by one supplier and guess who buys literally all the stock they make!  wouldn't be surprised if they don't even use them, just buy them for the sake of it.

Anyone remember TVs used to have the wiring schematic on the back cover? I have a printer at work that states if X fails to work, replace capacitor Y.

These days average jo repair man without megabucks of tech would struggle to repair a multi-layer pcb, 

14 hours ago, mattius said:

Anyone remember TVs used to have the wiring schematic on the back cover? I have a printer at work that states if X fails to work, replace capacitor Y.

These days average jo repair man without megabucks of tech would struggle to repair a multi-layer pcb, 

Yep, I studied electronics in the early '90s and everything then was 'human sized' you could just about fix anything with a soldering iron and an RS catalogue.  After leaving university I worked in a 2nd hand instrument shop where we used to also buy and fix second hand stuff, again it was (just about) possible but getting harder with the advent of surface mount devices (SMD).  What I've noticed though is that consumer repair 'technology' is advancing as well, you can buy SMD reflow stuff for use at home and the hacking/homebrew scene is insane in respect to what they're prepared to reverse-engineer and share on the web.

'Chip-tuning' or ECU remapping has followed a similar path.  In the early days, it was solder in a (nice big) eeprom, but things progressed and manufacturers have become increasingly security aware, yet, somehow, people always find a way.  Some of the required equipment is expensive, of course, but quite often you'll find what you need in a local 'hackerspace' and usually someone who can explain how to use it.