Scams I have known

JohnD

I seem to be getting more phone call scams.    "This is Microsoft - you have a problem with your internet" in a strong Indian accent has been going for a while, that scarey one with a deep mechanical voice, and the even more worrying ones where you hear nothing and then the connection is cut.    But this morning I got one "This is your bank, there has been a payment of £600 on your credit card - we suspect it was fraudulent.  Please press 1 to connect to your bank's Fraud Section"

I rang off, and then to be sure rang the number on the back of my credit card.     I explained I had just had a call about a fraudulent payment,  "Not for £600 was it?   That's the new one going around!"    

Yes, it's a scam.     A crude one, the voice has a BBC accent but is prerecorded and no bank would contact you in that way.      I'm sure no one here would be taken in, but if it says "£600", you needn't even check with "your bank"!

John

I recently had a similar scenario, though mine wasn't £600.  I did the same as you.  Rang off and called the bank.  When I eventually got put through to the card fraud team it turned out that it wasn't a scam and an individual in the USA had attempted to make two transactions using my wife's card details.  Once sorted they asked why I hadn't used the transfer option from the automated call.  My reply, "would you?"

Whilst the automated call didn't request any personal details, PIN, etc, I was surprised that an unverified call would give the option of an auto transfer and it didn't feel right.  Had I known though I could have saved myself 10 minutes holding on the phone!

I've actually had American Express call me a couple of years ago with some urgent whatever about my account and then say, 'but before we can continue we need you to confirm a few security details.'  I politely refused and the guy actually got quite cross, I said I'd phone back - which I did - and it did actually turn out to be them.  So when you say "no bank would contact you in that way", some do and I bet there are others.

I think the banks have tightened up their online securrity etc a lot since then.      My card was dunned for £6000 ten or more years ago, all over about three weeks, in multiples of £250 at Ladbrookes!    I only knew when I got my card statement and saw the total I owed.     The bank sorted it out and I didn't have to pay.    I asked them why they hadn't done something earlier, as soon as it became clear that the spending wasn't my usual pattern.   Their reply was, "Oh, we tried to ring you, but there was no reply!"

Nowadays if you just go abroad and use the card without telling them, you'll get it stopped, quickly.    

58 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Nowadays if you just go abroad and use the card without telling them, you'll get it stopped, quickly.    

Not so John - I've just been away and neither of my card providers wanted prior notice.  They say they monitor all activity and will contact by text for confirmation if anything suspicious registers. I used both cards in various locations abroad but had no messages. 

I have just had one - a Dutch number called me and announced that she was doing a survey into personal investment needs.  She had my name and mobile number.  A colleague has already been down that road - ostensibly from a respected research institution, when the caller suddenly offers irresistible personal advice... which he/she can facilitate, of course.

Slightly off-topic, I am pestered on a regular basis by salespeople working for the ghastly de Vere Investments organisation.  How to lose money. Quickly.

Paul

On 9/27/2019 at 2:43 PM, JohnD said:

We are in the USA at present

I contacted the Halifax (we have their excellent Clarity card, THE best card for over seas use) and indeed Nationwide (credit and debit cards, again fee- free international use)

Both said no need to let them know. Nationwide went on to say not to try to use a magnetic swipe machine, still used in America some places, as that could block the card. No idea why.

What I don't like over here is paying for meals, they take your card, bring you the receipt where you add a tip and sign. Surely open to abuse? I keep copies and take photos of the receipt they keep, but a worry. And as for buying petrol (or gas if you don't want funny looks) my card just won't work in their pumps. Goes through the entire process up to lifting the nozzle, when it say "see assistant" which is an added PITA.

14 minutes ago, zetecspit said:

We are in the USA at present

I contacted the Halifax (we have their excellent Clarity card, THE best card for over seas use) and indeed Nationwide (credit and debit cards, again fee- free international use)

Both said no need to let them know. Nationwide went on to say not to try to use a magnetic swipe machine, still used in America some places, as that could block the card. No idea why.

What I don't like over here is paying for meals, they take your card, bring you the receipt where you add a tip and sign. Surely open to abuse? I keep copies and take photos of the receipt they keep, but a worry. And as for buying petrol (or gas if you don't want funny looks) my card just won't work in their pumps. Goes through the entire process up to lifting the nozzle, when it say "see assistant" which is an added PITA.

Clive - with regard to signing for food etc, you are 100% right it can be open to abuse!!

At the bottom of the receipt is section for adding a gratuity, and then the total bill (ie you calculate the bill+gratuity figure). ALWAYS complete both sections, even if you leave the tip in cash, because it is not unknown for foreigners to leave this bit empty without realising (often because they want to tip with cash, not card), which a waiter/ress can then fill in after you leave with you none the wiser!

This was the advice given to me by an American friend last year, so thought I might pass it on.

Phil

Cheers Phil. 

I have been carefully filling it in, and making sure they cannot stick an extra digit in front of the tip etc. Thought taking pics was a good idea as it should solve any arguments later.

Finding America a huge, but subtle, culture change. Everything is similar, but so different. As for dinners, seems one person's could feed a family of 4, huge wastage. Many of the places we are staying (booking on the hoof) offer free continental breakfast. Often cerial, toast etc. Reviewers often downgrade as that is not a proper breakfast. Flippin well is... 

On 9/27/2019 at 2:43 PM, JohnD said:

John

Used to ring the fraud teams at my bank and credit card provider, whenever I went 'off piste' (Australia, China SA etc etc), to ensure they could track my card usage.

So, in Beijing, when I bought a 1st class (no business on Air China apparently) return ticket to Seoul, they stopped my card!

(The Seoul trip was included, but, it was, my company believed, a lot cheaper to buy at the airport for the Korea trip)

I found out when I tried to pay the hotel bill when leaving Korea

They effectively had my itinerary.

I moan (my democratic right), but, it's the only time they did it, once I started pre warning them of my trips, so, I'm sure that keeping them informed helps

John

On 9/29/2019 at 9:50 PM, Janner said:

If it is important, they'll leave a message

No message?

Then it wasn't worth answering any way

John

+1. All my calls are to my mobile these days. If the number doesn't come up as one of my Contacts, I don't answer. Only genuine callers leave messages. Our landline is almost redundant as the only callers are scammers or salespeople. I am about to dispense with it entirely but disentantangling it from my Virgin WiFi package is a bit of a challenge.

Miles

2 hours ago, MilesA said:

+1. All my calls are to my mobile these days. If the number doesn't come up as one of my Contacts, I don't answer. Only genuine callers leave messages. Our landline is almost redundant as the only callers are scammers or salespeople. I am about to dispense with it entirely but disentantangling it from my Virgin WiFi package is a bit of a challenge.

Miles

18 hours ago, AB|W said:

Tks Alan, email sent. Peter