Sign in to follow this  
Chippy63

A great addition to the workshop

I've not long had this but what a tool. pound for pound probably the best bit of kit i have. it will just chomp its way through bar stock or angle iron and when fitted with one of a few home made jigs it will cut inlet runners off at the correct angles or injector bungs at say 45 degrees. £400 well spent for sure. 

Steve

20190922_093713.jpg

20190922_093718.jpg

I acquired a very similar one as a bonus part of my mill/lathe package deal - and it’s seen more use than either of the others

Sounds a good deal Nick. I made a usful mod to mine which is an ajustable cut off switch so i can stop it before it cuts the jig in half. It had a sort of ajustable stop but it was real hit and miss, now it has a bolt with lock nut pushing down on the switch.

Mine already has the bolt mod, though it could use improvement. The material clamp also has significant room for improvement (on my to do list for some time already), though yours is different from what I can see. Liking the jig idea.

Just got another useful bit of kit. Might have a go with a cylinder head lol. Not really.

20200205_173802.jpg

20200205_173813.jpg

Nice, Mr.Chippy, but aren't those ports a bit, well, freehand?

What's it for, anyway?

J.

What tool/bit of workshop kit is everyone's own private fantasy?

I'd want a proper lathe, instead of the Victorian with such worn gears and crosslide that I can't do anything with precision.

If it were Lottery win stuff, CNC, of course!

JOhn

5 minutes ago, JohnD said:

What tool/bit of workshop kit is everyone's own private fantasy?

I'd want a proper lathe, instead of the Victorian with such worn gears and crosslide that I can't do anything with precision.

If it were Lottery win stuff, CNC, of course!

JOhn

Not long hadmy lathe but after fitting Dro's backlash doesnt matter.

15 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Nice, Mr.Chippy, but aren't those ports a bit, well, freehand?

What's it for, anyway?

J.

Thats just the welds needing grinding back inside John. I got so knackered sanding them back on my sheet of glass with different grades of paper on it that i went for the sander. Made light work of it.   Manifold is another one the same as mine for the flying farmer. Aka Neil with 250bhp from his stag engine. We are going to see what happens when this is fitted.

I also have the sander tool thing, but smaller.  A friend skip-rescued it!  Nothing wrong with it and it's very useful - though not big enough for what you are using it for.  You will find many uses for it.  Just be aware it makes short work of human knuckles etc.....:tongue:

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

I also have the sander tool thing, but smaller.  A friend skip-rescued it!  Nothing wrong with it and it's very useful - though not big enough for what you are using it for.  You will find many uses for it.  Just be aware it makes short work of human knuckles etc.....:tongue:

Yeah your not wrong Nick, i used to work in a joinery workshop and we had a door sander, basically a much bigger version of mine with the belt vertical and a power feed bed. That thing was a beast.

:blink: The “beast” sounds like what a former customer of mine would call “the divorce model”

Had my old Frejoth band saw for a long time and I bought it from a work mate.

Realised that slow speed and light cut weight works best for straight cuts.

`During the time of the cut I can get a cuppa in and often redesign what I am doing so stop the cut and weld it up later.

My linisher was given to me with a stuffed motor so I fitted a decent 1hp unit but had to space the bed so it cleared the motor.

Both great tools but I am still very fond of my Southbend 9 lathe that I have finally reduced the backlash on the crossfeed to negligible by fitting a new screw and nut off Ebay.

DROs are for dreams at present but would like to VFD it.

Adrian