JohnD

American insurance

Thank you, Alfredo!

Another way to get through this insurance thicket!

John

John, just had a thought. Fuel.

Over here (USA!) Pump fuel is 87, 89 and the premium is 91 octane. 

Worth thinking about how to deal with that. Octane booster?

(This is California, other states may differ? But thought it was worth a mention)

Google says they are not.....

US use average of RON and MON values so US 91 is roughly equivalent to UK 97.

The apparent difference is because in Europe and the UK, and the rest of the world, the Octane rating is RON, Research Octane Number.  In the US it is MON, Motor Octane Number.    The two vary by the precise procedure used in the test motor, and lead to an 8-12 difference in the actual value, of the same fuel!     To make it even more cofusing, some US fuel is sold by the AntiKnock Index. AKI, which is RON + MON/2!

Your premium 91 MON has the same octane as the 98RON that we are used to.    I normally carry some octane booster, just in case, but it would be a difficult to get that across t'Pond, unless I can hide it in a container!   I'd be marched off ther aircraft if I tried to take it in hand baggage!

The historic low CRs that Triumph exported to the US were given was for emissions reasons.        The higher the CR for more power, the more NOx, but moderns run with high CRs, and very low emissions and high power by means of stratified charge, direct injection etc.etc.    For instance, the 3 cylinder 1L Ford Ecoboost can develop over 129bhp, and be emissions legal in the US!  the 2L version can get over 270bhp and if 'tuned' over 400!

JOhn

Ah, good to know. The numbers did look very low, and I wondered how the cars ran on it. But then again with a big v8 that seems to produce less "go""than expected I wouldnt be surprised. 

Saying that I reckon our hire car will do 60 in under 5 seconds... But feels huge on the very twisty roads we have been doing the past 2 days. I reckon an MX-5 would have been a much better car... especially if manual.

John, I posted elsewhere some thoughts on afr, again our hire carcseems to run richer than I would expect, but i think that is to keep nox down at the  expense of co2/economy. A reason new cars don't seem as good on fuel as those 5+ years old?  

Missed your other comments, zetec, and you don't mention the brand of modern you're driving.    A "big V8" is never going to be economical on fuel, and a hire car may be in need of adjustment, but moderns are so full of digital monitoring they do that themselves and only put up error codes when they fall off their internal look-up table.     I fear you are the victim of a 'gas guzzler', not an engine adjusted for low emissions!

John

42 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Missed your other comments, zetec, and you don't mention the brand of modern you're driving.    A "big V8" is never going to be economical on fuel, and a hire car may be in need of adjustment, but moderns are so full of digital monitoring they do that themselves and only put up error codes when they fall off their internal look-up table.     I fear you are the victim of a 'gas guzzler', not an engine adjusted for low emissions!

John

I thought his thread might be under the Fuel Injection section John?

He mentioned it was a Mustang, and within the dashboard display thingy was a section showing AFR in real time, giving some slightly surprising figures!

Phil

The Mustang is actually better than expected on fuel. Reckon on some bits we have got about 30mpg, and that is the inferior US gallon. But those sections are at 55, and a little over idle speed. Had a few goes at unleashing the 460bhp on some, err, very quiet, very flat and very straight roads. Even then he afr never gets as low as 12.5, max power. Near. But not quite. Apart from over run, max (leanest) afr is under light acceleration, not steady cruise. And is always below 14.7.

So not needing adjustment, but the way ford have mapped the ECU using clever blokes and budgets beyond any individuals. They have a very good reason, and it must be emissions, especially here in California.