Sign in to follow this  
rogerguzzi

Vitesse Gearbox Dilema

Yes! Sorry, meant to say...... it was there when I got back from Ireland.  Haven’t been home much lately...... :wacko:

Looks perfect, and the gauge I ordered (having failed to find the one I thought I had)  arrived yesterday.  I had hoped to play with them today but I’ve been dealing with modern fleet traumas.......

Still haven't checked me overdrive pressure..... but it's about the next job as as I need to get the tunnel finally fitted before the carpeting can progress....... not that I'm looking forward to the carpeting!

How are the Vitesse gearboxes going?

Hello nick

Gearbox work has stopped for now as still waiting for mates lad to do the chassis welding.(plus not sure I want to go to all that trouble as it may be no better?)

I stripped and cleaned the 150 carbs and there is no wear at all that I can see I fitted new o/rings on the needle adjusters(I have 3 sets of different needles to play with!)

I fitted new u/j,s to the o/d prop shaft.

Work has slowed down a bit as I was away for 6 days at the Spa 6 hours(you should go as there are no crowds and free access to all areas for your £30!!!!)plus GOOD racing of car we understand!

Last week I was busy helping to spread 120tons!!!!!!of road planning's and my main job was driving? the Bomag vibrating roller(we live down a long bridle path and no other B***r would do anything about it must have put down 700/800 tons over the years!) 

I found on my overdrive to get from 450psi to 560psi only needed about 0.050" shimming.

So only about 0.010" for 20psi (yours will be a fiddle as it is on the bottom of the gearbox! easy on the bench)

I still fancy a single rail gearbox with a J type o/d?

I have a Canleys rebuilt non o/d one that has only covered about 1000miles in Spitty.

The only problem I would need the 3rd motion shaft, o/d, Adapter, and gear linkage? I could get the non o/d prop shaft shortened and balanced at Proptech (just down the road and made me a complete one for Spitty at a good price!)

Roger

ps still trying to find a 3.63 diff at reasonable price!

21 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Last week I was busy helping to spread 120tons!!!!!!of road planning's and my main job was driving? the Bomag vibrating roller(we live down a long bridle path and no other B***r would do anything about it must have put down 700/800 tons over the years!) 

Price of living so far out in the sticks..... though I see the Google car has been most of the way up ……...

Hello Nick

Another change of plan!

I have decided to use the 3.63 diff I took out of Spitty(only changed because of a very slight whine but the short half shafts into the star gears are very worn causing clunk back and forth) rebuilt with quality bearings 15k ago

The short half shafts and star gears in the 3.89 have almost no play so the plan is to change them over! plus I think the back case is better(that will save me £££££,s)

As to the gearbox well in my rush I have bought another Spitfire box but with o/d output shaft and adapter and top cover for o/d.

Still need to find a J type o/d etc

Roger

On 10/16/2019 at 2:06 PM, Nick Jones said:

Price of living so far out in the sticks..... though I see the Google car has been most of the way up ………

Hello Nick

Cheeky Bar stewards its Big Brother???

Roger

ps that was a few years ago by the looks of it!

52 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Cheeky Bar stewards its Big Brother???

Yeah..... no escape!

16 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Yeah..... no escape!

Hello Nick

Who gave them permission for this? nobody I expect! I had a conversation with a young Father about kids and phones etc (my welder!) and it is frightening the world is getting out of control (Brexit is peanuts compared to the rest) My view but I am old and set in my ways!

Still I have Triumph's to keep me sane(ish)

Planning Spain trip next year may give CLM a miss as I think Spa 6 Hours is better and better racing(plus no camping!!!)

Ha Ho

Roger