The New Project Binkie?

JohnD

Anyone a bit bored with Project Binkie, now that uit seems to be winding down?    And not satisfied by Bad Obsession's new 'Snail' project?    Then I have another fix for you - Master Milo!

Milo is a crazy Dutchman - well, a bit crazier than the others.          How crazy?   Does buying a Chinese knock-off copy of a T54 Russian tank, one that was used by Saddam's Iraqui army, captured by the British, brought back to the UK and spent the last twenty years in a field, sound crazy?    Does buying it to restore sound crazy?     Milo is completely crackers.

And if you are not convinced, here is his latest video, of starting the  tank's 39 litre, V-12 diesel engine for the first time after a rebuild.     The scene, inside his workshop, just 4 minutes into the video says it all:

Milo speaks Dutch, with some entertaining subtitles.     He has posted dozens of videos on the project already, too many to watch all in a day, but I'm looking forward to working through them when I have time!!

John

Nice work, Adrian, but I found his 'dry American irony' grated after a while.

I think I've linked before to the series of machining videos from "Abom97".  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3UZn1tcVe7pH3R6C3Gcng

Adam is a professional machinist (I got the impression that Tony teaches the subject) and doesn't do the 'humor'.   

Meanwhile, I'm puzzled about what Master Milo does, to keep Edam on his toast.    He has a large workshop, equipped with big lathes, gas and electric welders, but he also owns a forklift and a Holmatro "Jaws of Life" rescue spreader, and can pop around to their head office  and buy a 50 ton press, just like that!    I'm guessing he's either a farmer or an agricultural engineer.

See this for how he uses his hydraulic tools:

John

Edited by JohnD

WhooHOO!    Ignore what I said above!   New Binkie episode is coming - next week!   "Lots of little jobs, a couple of not so little jobs, Nik attempts the improbable and Richard makes a bracket. Ralph makes a long awaited return and the kettle gets boiled" they say.     lets hope no wiring.

John

• 9 months later...

Thanks, Paul!    I'd only just discovered this again, and thos two guys hooning thier tank around a field was true LOL time!

The previous video is interesting, in that it shows that the tecniques we've discussed here for finding TDc apply universally.  

Milo and Dirk are using Dutch, but click on the subtitles button for some good translation.   

Hey mensen, genieten!

• 3 weeks later...

Milo is an engineer, but he has his own ways.

In the latest episode of his tank saga, after the first test drive they found a LOT of water in the oil.   As they drained it, I learbnt that the Dutch for 'snot'  is ... 'snot'!

But they have fixed the leak, reinstalled the engine and refilled it with oil.  BUt they don't have enough.  Yes we do, says Milo, it just has lots of water in it.

The solution?   A deep chip fryer!    Heat the emulsified oil until the water is driven off!     Opglossing!

See about 15 minutes in: