Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

Any 'born-again' skiers?

Enjoy The Folie Douche John, its maybe a bit mad for you but has to be seen to be believed, the apres ski there is off the charts!

Folie Douche?  The Mad Shower? 

Oh!  Its a boite de nuit!  Would be a scarey name for a ski run!    Yes, I think my night club days are done!

But thanks for the tip!

J.

Well, whatever else happens over the next day and a half, this week is a result! First prize in the senior beginners slalom race today :banana:

I even got a trophy!

IMG_20200116_180810.thumb.jpg.c19d3c9d4689dac6d8ccdda295198477.jpg

Cheers,

Phil (next to be seen in the winter Olympics :laugh:)

Why not Eddie made it!

Well done!  But Vorsicht!

Sorry John, I think I failed the Vorsicht bit today!

A couple of guys we shared a table with in the hotel took us out today for a bit of unofficial coaching, and took us down a few easier red runs.

They then coached myself and SWMBO down an "easy" black (it had a wide piste). Christ, committing to the turn takes another meaning, and needless to say I fell on the first three turns (it is easier to fall on a black, you simply go into the hill and because it is so steep you have very little distance to fall :laugh:). But then I got it, and made it down to the bottom. Herself managed it without falling once, goddammit lol. But I made it, and blimey but it has improved my technique!

Happy, and rather sore now, but a very good holiday. Even contemplating another in February, it is that bad!

Cheers,

Phil

No, just greedy!    Or else a mockery of the snow gods!

I'm just hoping not to disgrace myself in frornt of No.1 grandson, seen here last year, on a Red Run?

956253630_Robbieskiing2019.thumb.png.6080673e7e2d8a3da2ac433db1949f7f.png

One cool dude, yes?

Very cool.

Just whatever you do don't try and keep up with him, it seems the smaller the child the less fear they suffer, and are more than happy to launch themselves down slopes at breakneck speeds whilst we are still quivering like a jelly at the top lol!

Good advice Phil!

Years ago my then 8 year old and I started together at the top of a black run. She just crouched down and skied straight down the middle of the piste without turning! When I arrived, having zig zagged all the way down she looked pitifully at me and said "You think too much about this". Crushed.

Glad you are now hooked. I am off to the Spanish Pyrenees as a new destination in a week's time and trying to get myself to somewhere on the Sella Ronda in the Dolomites in March - a great location for mature skiers. Give it a look. Can thoroughly recommend Hotel Col Alto in Corvara but likely to be stuffed already.

Miles

Why don't we bounce so well as we get older ( more mature/greater experience)?

Increase in mass..... loss of elasticity. Not to mention longer reaction times.....:wacko:

Watching ski Sunday and they are doing over 90 mph downhill in Lauberhorn... That's fast in a  Herald can't image what it's like on a pair skis....

Anyway have a great and we look forward to the pictures :)

2nd day here and I'm already feeling the strain!     Yesterday Daughter and husband took me out and with enormous patience (Son-in-Law is the sort of skier who can turn around an ski backwards!) coaxed me down a few blue runs. Few falls, nothing major.  We did some more this morning, but I was getting the burning thighs, So I told them to get on with it, and I'm back at the chalet.

Off for a swim and sauna!    Amazing facilities, in house!  Very good for tired muscles.     Maybe out this PM, with Cool Dude grandson!

Yup, and he's off down the Blue run, over the brow, snow plough turning right and left, faster than I can get down, unless I just go for it!

John

Edited by JohnD

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Off for a swim and sauna!    Amazing facilities, in house!  Very good for tired muscles.

Yup, we had a Jacuzzi, Sauna and swimming pool in our hotel.

I cannot stress enough how much that jacuzzi kept me going last week, never really rated them before and by God I was mistaken!

Just remember, weight forward and shoulders downhill! That was shouted at me all week such that I can still here my instructor now :laugh:

Enjoy it, take it easy if need be, you are on holiday!

Phil

1 hour ago, thebrookster said:

Just remember, weight forward and shoulders downhill! That was shouted at me all week such that I can still here my instructor now :laugh:

An improvement on years of French instructors yelling "bend zee neez!"

I'm not a good enough skier to take photos on the fly, let alone video.  So nothing to show you.  But I've just chased GS No.1 down a blue, with him doing snow plough turns  all the way down, FASTER than I can parallel!

But (He he! ) I overtake him on the flat where the runs come together.  He just doesn't have the mass for inertia to carry him to the next slope.   Grandpa wins!   Muttley sn!gg3r!

PS last word necessary as idiot robot censor strikes again!

Edited by JohnD

But my legs and eyes have given up!   In overcast skies this AM, the contrast of light on the snow made irregularities invisible, and any way, my legs were jelly!  Duvet day today!    Then skischool prize giving and GS#1 gets one grade higher than anyone else!   Snowflake grade!!!

Hello John

Stick to RACING OLD cars you are probably? better at it!

Plus I think it is safer(Right foot!)

Roger

ps is the gluevine (wrong spelling) good? the only reason I would go there!

pps give me and the Memsahib Spain and the SUN and a Triumph Classic any day!