Sign in to follow this  
PeterC

The party's over

3 hours ago, PeterC said:

https://theconversation.com/focusing-on-cutting-emissions-alone-wont-halt-ecological-decline-we-must-consume-less-former-uk-chief-environmental-adviser-122778

The writing is on the wall, but nobody is reading it, or wants to read it.  I cant see any electorate voting for negative economic growth. What's the answer ??

Peter

Why not start by investing in vegetable oil for transport, reduce the dependance on mineral oil

This will increase farmed product and reduce oil usage, helping the worlds agricultural industry

Not a solution  just a suggested step in what I feel is the right direction

John

9 minutes ago, Janner said:

Why not start by investing in vegetable oil for transport, reduce the dependance on mineral oil

This will increase farmed product and reduce oil usage, helping the worlds agricultural industry

Not a solution  just a suggested step in what I feel is the right direction

John

John, I think there's not emough farmable land area to do that and feed 9 billlion. The action of USA to use their corn for ethanol fuel impacted world food prices to the point where third world countries who once imported that corn faced starving.  Peter

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

War. Plague & pestilence. Mass starvation.....

I fear so. Homo sapiens will have to be renamed by the survivors...

I had a dark, morbid conversation with an employee not long ago and we came up with a way that this silly mess could end. 

If a disease came along that caused all new people to be born sterile there wouldn't be anyone to replace us. The people that are here would live out their lives in good health. It might get a little lonely at the very end but that could be worse. After 90 years or so the planet would be able to reset itself.  If my grandkids were never born it would be better than the mess we are heading towards.

Sorry

35 minutes ago, SpitfireBGT said:

I had a dark, morbid conversation with an employee not long ago and we came up with a way that this silly mess could end. 

If a disease came along that caused all new people to be born sterile there wouldn't be anyone to replace us. The people that are here would live out their lives in good health. It might get a little lonely at the very end but that could be worse. After 90 years or so the planet would be able to reset itself.  If my grandkids were never born it would be better than the mess we are heading towards.

Sorry

That's the premise of a good film - Children of Men with Clive Owen.  Actually creates a convincing image of the UK post-Bre..... no, I'm not going there.

1 hour ago, SpitfireBGT said:

Sorry

Darker still is the possibilty of engineering a human-specific "gene drive" virus that inhibits procreation. And the nation that releases it can protect its own with a vaccine. And which country is the furhtest ahead with genetic manipulation of humans ? China. But behind the scenes I doubt China is alone.

Things could get really nasty this century....

Peter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_drive

On 9/3/2019 at 2:35 PM, PeterC said:

https://theconversation.com/focusing-on-cutting-emissions-alone-wont-halt-ecological-decline-we-must-consume-less-former-uk-chief-environmental-adviser-122778

The writing is on the wall, but nobody is reading it, or wants to read it.  I cant see any electorate voting for negative economic growth. What's the answer ??

Peter

Every apocalyptic vision never pans out.

remember the claims in the 70’S?

Year 2000, no oil, population 100 billion, water all run out, runaway greenhouse effect,famines killing millions across Europe and America.

In the early 70's it wasn't the greenhouse thing, it was a new ice-age that was the scare story.  Present climate-hysteria notwithstanding, we are in an inter-glacial period and in due course the ice age will return. There is no doubt about it.

Glaciation, meteor strike, mega-eruption event, you name it, they are all likely. They have all happened many times during earth's existence and it's odds-on they will happen again. We are powerless with current (or any foreseeable) technology to do anything to stop or even to mitigate the effects so there's no point in worrying about it.  Just be thankful we are living in such a temporarily benign era.

Perhaps Peter's UFOs will rescue a few survivors from the failed experiment ?  :unsure:

1 hour ago, DeTRacted said:

Perhaps Peter's UFOs will rescue a few survivors from the failed experiment ?  :unsure:

Rob, That is a very prescient comment.

Prof John Mack, Harvard psychiatrist, and others, discovered that a common feature of ufo-abductees was being subjected to gamete removal, and removal of first trimester foetuses. I dont subscibe to the ET origins of ufos and suspect the ufonauts are closer to us biologically than we are being allowed to know. So their purpose in abductions may be to accumulate a "human ark" in anticipation of our demise, not by ufos but from our own wars/cc/overpopulition etc.

Peter

If you're going to.speculate wildly, Peter, on no evidence at all, let's introduce some less speculative science.      Enrico Fermi formulated the great paradox, "Where is everybody?" , but Drake analysed it in his "equation".    Not really a mathematical formula, but a way of thinking about the problem.

It's a long series of probabilities, look it up.if you want (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation ) that have changed a lot since he put it that wsy.    In particular, "fp", the fraction of stars that have planets, has increased markedly.  He thought he it would be less than a half -   the hunt for exoplanets has already found about four thousand, with maybe one percent of those In the "Goldilocks Zone" around their stars.     So although Drake was right about the proportion of possible Earthlike planets, he was way off on how many stars have them.    It seems that planets are not just common, they are usual.

Which emphasises Fermi.   Where is everybody?      If "fl" the fraction that develop life is just small, then "fi" the fraction that develop intelligence must be tiny.   Or zero. Or, L, the duration of that intelligent life is short.    Certainly it looks like we could be going that way.

John

Edited by JohnD

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

If you're going to.speculate wildly, Peter, on no evidence at all, let's introduce some less speculative science.      Enrico Fermi formulated the great paradox, "Where is everybody?" , but Drake analysed it in his "equation".    Not really a mathematical formula, but a way of thinking about the problem.

It's a long series of probabilities, look it up.if you want (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation ) that have changed a lot since he put it that wsy.    In particular, "fp", the fraction of stars that have planets, has increased markedly.  He thought he it would be less than a half -   the hunt for exoplanets has already found about four thousand, with maybe one percent of those In the "Goldilocks Zone" around their stars.     So although Drake was right about the proportion of possible Earthlike planets, he was way off on how many stars have them.    It seems that planets are not just common, they are usual.

Which emphasises Fermi.   Where is everybody?      If "fl" the fraction that develop life is just small, then "fi" the fraction that develop intelligence must be tiny.   Or zero. Or, L, the duration of that intelligent life is short.    Certainly it looks like we could be going that way.

John

John, I dont do wild speculation and am very familair with Drake Eq., Your plethora of new palnets is embraced by an up-to-date analysis by FHI, Oxford who conclude that we are alone in the galaxy with a bery high probability.https://phys.org/news/2018-06-advanced-civilization-universe.html

However, that leaves the abundance of observatiions of ufo and their occupanrs as unlikely to be ET.  No-one who reads about ufo, apart from the sociopaths who harbor an innate distrust of their fellow humans,can fail to seek explanations of ufo and their constructors. The evidence for the reality of ufo as physical objects under intelligent control is overwhelming. Try Timothy Good as a starter

:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Need-Know-UFOs-Military-Intelligence/dp/028307034X/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=timothy+good&link_code=qs&qid=1568402821&s=gateway&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-3

So ufo are not ours, but not ET either. I used to think they are our descendants form the future,  but now prefer to work on the hypothesis that they occupy a diffferent diemnsion of time and maybe another of space, but can ( along with the restof life in their evolutionary history) exchange small amounts, small enough to be in quantum superposiion , of genetic informaiton with our biolgoical realm. That process has kept our biolgicla evolution and theirs parallel for a billion years or so. The basis in physics is hinted at by Lee Smolins new concpet of "causal time" and a new explantion of Einstiens spooky action. New Scientist 24 August.  Testinh his ideas with phyics will be tricky. But DNA testing of ufonaut  corpses will reveal their evolutionary history, whcih will prove to be much the same as ours I reckon. And give credence to parallel time and maybe space.

Peter