custom uprights

I want to get rid of the trunnions but don't want the canley classic uprights due to the lower ball joint being open.  so thinking about making them myself, is it doable? I want to keep as much parts standard (like topball, stub axle,hub)  I have a lathe, a benchtop mill, mig welder.  it is just the idea that keeps me from doing it. anybody ever done it?  I went to look at a spyder chassis custom upright and it doesn't look that difficult.    strength wise I don't think it is that difficult as the standard uprights look weak to me anyway.      feedback please (LOL) 

Rick

And although the open spherical joint looks questionable, it does not have any issues that I have noticed. It seems pretty bulletproof.

That is from personal experience on a hard driven/used car that is certainly not pampered. 4 1/2 years so far, though only 20k or so. 

what is the problem with the original design? I know about the failure of the root of the thread at the bottom link but if you consider the number of uprights in use and the number of failure the failure rate is tiny. I agree the open ball joint on the Canely design is not very elegant but seem to work.
Is there another reason to change the design? I think if you go ahead you do need to do the calcs to ensure you end up with something that can be shown to be safe.

Mike

I had a upright failure a while ago and don't want it again, try to avoid it by al means. it is a nice job for the winter.  Dutch m.o.t. requires dust seals for ball /pherical joints .  not even a cut in the rubber is allowed.   spyder uses a ford sierra bearing and hub on a custom upright, it is basically a sheet metal box with the parts added.  nothing fancy. I'll have a look on the mx5 and cortina uprights on google see if I like them

Rick