Sign in to follow this  
GT6MK3

Closing the "Cradle of Democracy"

It occurred to me (and forgive my slightly partisan observation) that history is punctuated by the exploits of individuals who use the definite article as their middle name.  My evidence for this observation would include

Alfred The Great

William The Conqueror

Richard The Lionheart

Peter The Great

Catherine The Great (not very original, the Russians)

Ivan The Terrible

Ming The Merciless

Roger The Cabin Boy (not sure about that one)

Coco The Clown

and so on... And now we have

Boris The Liar

I know we shouldn't highlight politicians' personal peccadilloes (and I'm not going to make any mention of his penchant for well-endowed blondes), but I have this quaint, old-fashioned respect for honesty and integrity in public office.  I suspect that history will not look kindly upon any aspect of this disaster.

Paul

I always understood that you can't turn a noun (a name type thing) into a verb ( a doing type thing)   but reading Pau'ls post above I quite liked 'Roger the cabin boy.'

Roger

20 minutes ago, RogerH said:

I always understood that you can't turn a noun (a name type thing) into a verb ( a doing type thing)   but reading Pau'ls post above I quite liked 'Roger the cabin boy.'

Roger

Wasn’t it from the alternative Captain Pugwash........

Kipper me capstans!   Will that old calumny not lie down and die?!     

The cabin boy was "Tom",  and the Captain's second in command ws "Master Mate".     There was a hand on the Black Pig called  "Willy", but that is as far as innuendo went. 

"Seaman Staines" was entirely a figment of  inflamed imaginations.   John Ryan, the author, was not stupid or naive, and it went out on the BBC, for goodness sake!

John

I have another one to offer as evidence:

The Donald Trump

This serves two purposes.  It further underlines the precedent for Boris The Liar and it also demonstrates that Trump can't grasp even this simple rule (" 'The' goes in the middle, Mr President")

Paul

Donald the Trump would be about right too....... given the colloquial UK English meaning.....

Luckily, as a highly intelligent deity, he’s too important to impeach, especially over minor legal matters..... Perhaps the tax wheeze will work. Did for Capone.

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

Kipper me capstans!   Will that old calumny not lie down and die?!     

The cabin boy was "Tom",  and the Captain's second in command ws "Master Mate".     There was a hand on the Black Pig called  "Willy", but that is as far as innuendo went. 

"Seaman Staines" was entirely a figment of  inflamed imaginations.   John Ryan, the author, was not stupid or naive, and it went out on the BBC, for goodness sake!

John

To be fair Nick did say "alternative" captain Pugwash - I quite agree that the rude name quoted by me was an urban myth

I did indeed say "alternative".  We had all (well, most) of the books when I was a kid, some of which survived to get read to my kids and quite possibly some still loiter about the house.  Pugwash was probably less dodgy than the Magic Roundabout in reality.

1 minute ago, Chris W said:

Vlad the Impaler (Putin?)

Yeah..... he’s a bit too real though and his fingerprints are on quite a bit of the current mischief..... nudge here, prod there....

Now come on guys - this is a serious thread and we're only dealing with real people.  And Boris.

But I confess that I was devastated to discover recently that Noggin the Nog was, in fact, not real.  Always looked pretty convincing to me - it was in black and white, after all.  And I had a sneaking suspicion that my History master at school was related to Nogbad the Bad (another 'The' middle name!)... those eyebrows... that mustachio...

Paul