Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

Starting motorsport

My apprentice now introduced to Autosolo, although he was more interested in sweeping up the cones than avoiding them!

I think I do have a spare Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine somewhere in a shed if you want to upgrade   …...

Thanks, Martin, but I think he'll stick to electric and 5mph just now! 

The kart was bought for a song locally, old battery was dud, but a new, bigger one and he can drive for an hour, which is quite long enough.   Problem will be when both grandsons are visiting. Have to look out for another!

John

58 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Problem will be when both grandsons are visiting

Lessons in sharing and collaboration......

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Lessons in sharing and collaboration......

Indeed, but if the objective is motor sport.....

Edited by JohnD

Looks like you’ll have to get them competition licences from 1st Jan.  MSUK have extended their control-freakery and now require pretty much anyone in motorsport including passengers in production car trial, to apply for a clubman RS licence. Ok, it’s free for now, but you don’t need binoculars to see where is is going....... and up the scale a bit, licences and more importantly event permits have gone up - substantially in some cases.

Supposedly this is to “encourage grassroots motorsport “. What ivory tower do they inhabit? 

After 34 years with light involvement with motor sport at a grassroots level and no need for a licence I am discomfited by this. I hate control freaks.....

On the other hand they have negotiated FREE eye tests for competition licence holders, with Vision Express!

And made medicals unnecessary until you're 60.     Bit late for me , but anyway.

And when you consider the level of insurance that Motorsport UK (and long before by the MSA) offers to registered competitors, you might think they'd like to know who you are!     It includes ( from memory) £15 million of public liability.     Earlier this year, I had to pay £120 for £2 millions worth for a weekend, to show off my damper testing rig at the TSSC/TRR show at Stratford!

JOhn

Edited by JohnD

Its gone down like a lead budgie at my local club, walk-up passengers in the Auto-test series has been a great way of sucking people in and getting them involved, no longer an option. Also for several of the younger competitors the rise in event fees is quite a significant factor in whether or not they'll be participating in next year's series. Sad stuff.

Well done, Sam!  Autotest/cross/Solo is one of the best intro disciplines!  Great fun!

JOhn

But licences now needed even for passengers in production car trials and autotests.....

This is control freakery and how long do you think they’ll stay free? Five years max and they’ll be blathering about costs and Charging an “admin fee”.

15 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

But licences now needed even for passengers in production car trials and autotests.....

This is control freakery and how long do you think they’ll stay free? Five years max and they’ll be blathering about costs and Charging an “admin fee”.

Totally agree, and as my wife doesn't (yet) have the license I'll need somebody else to passenger for me if I do the club PCAs.

:-(

It's like MS UK have decided they don't want poor people making their events look untidy 

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I have mine, and think it must cost a few quid to administrate and send out.

BUT I wonder if they are getting twitchy about people at motor clubs being a bit lax regarding competitors actually reading signing on stuff and so on. The main thrust of teh application seems to be about medical history, and makes it clear that you are making a declaration. 

But I fully expect this to be charged for, possibly as soon as next year. But in all honesty compared to entry costs etc, a tenner a pop wouldn't be too troubling. Unless they have a master plan to usurp all teh different MSA affiliated clubs and centralise everything?