Ok so it looks like i've killed the battery in my spitfire, no amount of reconditioning will bring it back.

It was my own fault, i let it run flat, fast charged it and over and over, the purchase of a ctek was too late to help the wee fella.

Im a bit out the game, so which battery do people recommend? is there a better battery for long periods of non use (all be it on the ctek permanently).

I've got a Halfords "3 year" battery in 063 size with a 2004 data stamp on it.  Bought it "lightly used" from my favourite scrapyard in about 2006.  It's been in the Vitesse for years but got swapped into the Spitfire when we commissioned that because it fitted that better than the stray 075 we had left over from somewhere else which fitted in the Vitesse.  It got retired to "general garage duties" about 18 months ago as it was getting a bit marginal being left for 3 - 4 weeks in Grannys garage while Chris was at uni, but it now has a new home in the GT6.

15 years is a record for me.  I've had a couple (Bosch / Varta) do 9 - 10 years and one Audi branded one do 12 years (that one because the car started very easily!) but 5 - 6 years is more typical.  It hasn't really had any special treatment, except that I do usually disconnect it if I know the car won't be used for more than a week or two and it does get trickle charged from time to time.  

When Chris replaced it for the Spit he got it's newer relative, at a very reasonable price with the Halfords tradecard discount.

hah this one will be lucky if it is 5 years old, but its had a hard life for a battery, pretty much run flat then fast charged all its life.

1 hour ago, mattius said:

pretty much run flat then fast charged all its life

Done well to go 5 years on that diet!

I tend to use the silver batteries from Halfords (on trade card) rather than the big standard variety, simply due to slightly more oomph for equivalent size, and also a 5 year warranty.

Just bought a feckin huge one for the trailer winch recently, only cost £100 which was pretty decent actually! Though I really need a ctek on that, I shall peruse (cheers for the reminder mattius!!)

Phil

I ended up with a Bosch s4 063 size, not through choice, but the battery i had ordered from euro car parts arrived damaged, so they replaced it with a more expensive one! score!

Funnily enough, plugged it in and she fired straight up.

Never fear, it is now permanently connected to the Ctek.

Hi,

the 063 would not be my choice even if gratis. Far better batteries out there.

I'm sure the quality 063 will give many years of life if never abused & treated with respect. Especially if it exceeds the original spec & fitted to a standard car.

I would fit a larger volume type with good spec/cost.

I would not throw away a working Ctek if I was given one. I use my car. 

Cheers,

Iain.