Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

The answer to everything

Let's face it, trying to diagnose car problems, someone else's funny steering noise, tendency to misfire when driving uphill when the wind is in the west, or inability to drive at more than 30mph without overheating is hard at a distance. Especially when the OP hasn't attempted any investigation before reaching for the Internet, and doesn't appear to have considered that buying an old car demands some dedication to self-improvement towards familiarity with a spanner, let alone a workshop manual. So, fellow gurus, here's the answer. 

Diagnostic Dice! The answer they give is as likely to be correct as anything we can advise, given our lack of input and direct contact with the problem. 

Make life easy for yourself! Don't spend time trying to list all the possibilities, just suggest they go out and buy a set of Diagnostic Dice! 

They'll thank you for it! 

John

Diagnostic Dice.jpg

Brilliant, do Halfords stock this valuable tool?

I must admit I am guilty of asking questions, but only after an amount of searching and manual checking. I will ask for confirmation of actions required, or to help with diagnosis of symptoms, and to obtain the benefit of others wisdom. I often think back to how, 40 odd years ago I would just dive in and work it out as I went along, with my mates and my Dad to fall back on. Trouble is I've probably forgotten what I learnt back then, and maybe I'm now a little more cautious too.

Rod

2 hours ago, Rod1883 said:

Brilliant, do Halfords stock this valuable tool?

Rod

Knowing some garages - they use these already. So Halfords probably have them on a big discount with a trade card.