Milling machine Sieg Sx2.7

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i have cut out the rot and lowered it by 5" and given it a lick of paint. Just working through a couple of issues i wasn't happy with the main one being that the PO was using it without a draw bar as he thought it wasn't drilled for one so was just relying on the MT2 ( very scary). I intended to remove the shaft and get it drilled but when i looked closely i could see a rod stuck inside the shaft, one quick tap with a punch and the stuck rod came out, happy days a  bit of M10 threaded bar does the trick for a draw bar. That was the main issue quickly sorted the other thing i don't want to have very long is the light switch for turning it on and off . I have ordered a DOL with the correck overload relay and also i have ordered a wand/pendulum switch  from RS  to hang down by the cutter as a saftey cut out. The DRO seems very good but im having to learn its functions off the internet, youtube etc so was thinking of buying an identical one for my lathe or even a 3 axis and swap so the mill has the 3 and lathe has the 2 axis that way ill have some written instructions. Ive made a few cuts with it and so far seems very nice. £800 with a DRO costing £200 and about £200 of tooling i think i did ok. Now to find all the things i never knew i needed to mill lol.

Steve

20190922_093601.jpg

Looks good.  Like the look of the DRO - would like one on my Myford Mill/Drill............  Need to get it properly set up and get the coolant pump working too.  I've only had it about 3 years....... (embarrassed smiley here!).  They are very useful - even if only as an accurate drill press.

1 hour ago, mpbarrett said:

Very nice and a good price.

Before you use it anger do a quick accuracy check on the DRO. I have seen them fail or give false readings.
Also had an expensive digital caliper that went none linear from 0-3 mm.. very confusing until I realised what was happening.

Mike

Will do Mike, by all accounts that i have read on these units they are a cheap Chinese offering but everyone seems very happy with them, it would be just my luck to get the one bad one floating about.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Initial accuracy test looks good. I had no instructions so found an exact same readout but with the 3rd z axis so have bought that and fitted it to the mill (just using  the original 2 scales for now) and moved the 2,axis on to my ML7, just need to mount the 2 new scales on that.

Screenshot_20191003-221740_Gallery.jpg

7 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Chippy

How come your lathe is that clean? mine is covered in swarf and oil! and so is the BIG one! the milling machine is a bit cleaner but is used less!

Roger

Cleaned it up ready for fitting the scales, its usually like yours Roger.

• 7 months later...

Thnaks, Michael!      To stop the lathe whe it has gone as far as needed?

I have a little Zyto lathe, but have never got to grips with it screw cutting.     I watch the likes of Abom and the Bad Obsession Boys in envy!

On 5/30/2020 at 6:15 AM, michaeljf said:

Hello, Here is a picture of my sons mill and my little lathe that he is fitting a brake to. Regards,Michael.

P4050798.JPG

P4050796.JPG

I've a similar Bridgeport that I got for free a couple of years ago and done a bit of a restoration on and added a DRO. Regularly skim 6 cyl heads on it. Also got a Colchester Bantam lathe that I restored but thinking about getting something bigger....

0189fce8-1ff9-4d4a-9264-1e46db47abeb.jpg

f1d8e8b8-a361-4f2c-8466-3f130f65c260.jpg

Even on that you have to be careful where you put the head to get it to clear. Think if you look closely you can see the white paint marks I've put of the side of the bed to show me where to line up the 6 cyl to get the travel. 

Ideally you'd want the 49" bridgeport.