So that's why the Speedo is not working

mpbarrett

The Speedo stopped working on my herald. Thought it was the angle drive so took the tunnel off (easy job on the herald not like a TR or GT6).

Nice easy solution the angle drive had come undone from the gearbox! I blame a 1000 miles thrashing around Scottish roads on the NC850, like the NC500 but more fun. :)

IMG_20190722_112641~2.jpg

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, TimBancroft said:

MIke, 

I have just fitted a GPS speedo I purchased from Speedhut to my GT6, ah, the joys of accuracy. Got to be worth doing to your Herald as she is a keeper.

yes she is a keeper (15 years so far) complete engine and gearbox rebuild last year, new diff, springs, shocks and bushes and full Megasquirt injection and ignition. Spent more on her last year than she is worth... All the other Triumphs (Dolly, Stag, GT6, TR6) have come and gone but the Herald has remained and I still really enjoy driving her.. :)

One of the winter jobs is to replace the dash board and instruments and sort out the interior so will have to have a look at the Speedhut speedo..

mike

• 3 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 6:43 PM, mpbarrett said:

The Speedo stopped working on my herald. Thought it was the angle drive so took the tunnel off (easy job on the herald not like a TR or GT6).

Nice easy solution the angle drive had come undone from the gearbox! I blame a 1000 miles thrashing around Scottish roads on the NC850, like the NC500 but more fun. :)

IMG_20190722_112641~2.jpg

Hi,

What is the clamped thing with the lead?  & wire? Grounding wire?

Cheers,

Iain.

11 hours ago, spitfire6 said:

Hi,

What is the clamped thing with the lead?  & wire? Grounding wire?

Cheers,

Iain.

Its a sensor to detect the bolts on the drive flange to feed a pulse into a home made display of speed (and RPM). The large clamp held a industrial proximity sensor that didn't work very well. The small glues blob is a Allegro Hall effect sensor. I drilled the flange bolts and fitted very small magnets into to them  to get a good reliably signal. Works very well and now feeds into  the Megasquirt so that it can log speed as well as everything else. 

mike

My Vitesse Speedo stopped working the other week. New repro cable fitted when I rebuilt the car, so has maybe done 200 miles. Checked the Speedo end first as I didn't fancy removing all the interior I have just fitted. Screwed on an old cable and used a drill to spin up the Speedo, which was working. 

Refitted the original cable making sure the inner drive cable was fully engaged, and tightend up the outer as tight as I could. Drove the car and it worked.

Not sure went on there, other than the cable wasn't fully inserted into the Speedo, or fully tightened. It is akward to srcew on the cable, tip of your finger and thumb job, so fatigue may have set in, thinking if was tight when it wasn't.

There is only about 5mm drive cable protruding from the outer cable, so maybe there is some play between the gearbox and Speedo drives, although there is a nylon shoulder on the inner cable to stop it sliding back into the outer.

Speedo working fine again for now, have to wait and see.

Hi Mike,

I thought it was loads of solder. LOL.

I had thought of proxies seeing four bolt rear flanges many times. Only have the elct/interface knowledge i'm afraid.

Do the GPS speedometers have a pulse output available for use?

I have seen deals that are connected in line of speedo cables. Would love to find one that was small and interfaced a gauge input?
Mech to PPR converter availability?

Final hijack of thread: How easy to change speedo drive ratio?

Cheers,

\\\Iain.

• 3 months later...

That’s good to know.  

Vitesse speedo Hopefully now fixed (hybrid Triumph /Toyota angle drive was falling apart) and, when working, actually agrees very well with GPS up to 70mph. Above that it gets increasingly optimistic and we have had it well off the end (120 mph) on a number of occasions, but never seen more than 112 on the sat nav. (108 at two points on the Nurburgring with the old engine and 112 on an autobahn somewhere in Germany with the new engine). Feels like 180+ and not at all safe ...... :ninja:. I Don’t make a habit of it! ODO seems about right too which is surprising given the mongrel nature of the beast.

The GT6 one also agrees quite well with GPS up to 70. Dunno about the odo but it ought to be reading low due to 3.63 diff.....