Hello All

The Memsahib has shamed me into getting the Vitesse going!

So after a quick appraisal (dream land) so next thing I know the front suspension is in pieces!(parts all bought about 3 years ago!)

Now the question is the callipers are in poor shape(pistons rusty)

They are 16P so is it worth upgrading to 16PB as far as I can see it is just the dust seal that is different!

So new pistons and seals £40/50 or £120 for new callipers!(dubious quality!)

This car will not do high mileage unlike Spitty(to thirsty!)

So thoughts?

Roger 

The callipers care interchangeable, seen cars with one of each. So I would happily rebuild a pair of either in preference to new repro items.

Worth noting there are also the metric callipers, slightly different again...

Based on my experiences (previously documented on here and on TSSC site) I would not touch the new repro calipers with a barge pole.  We have literally this morning removed a pair of repro 16PBs from Chris's Spitfire.  Two  years after fitting them they still refuse to self adjust properly resulting in very long pedal travel and poor braking.  I have wasted days of my life trying to make them work - and failed.

We have just fitted what irritatingly turned out to be M16 calipers instead (PBs and Ms look very similar).  These have different pad pin sizes, metric threads and metric bolt holes so there was more pratting about required than there should have been, though functionally they are identical.  Chris rebuilt these with seal kits and stainless steel pistons from Bigg Red ad they seem to be working fine (though perhaps still one bleed from perfection).

16P calipers are perfectly fine.  Their only drawback relative to the PB is that the dust covers are a bit of a bastard to fit - takes about four to acquire the knack I find, which is long forgotten by the time you get to do any more.

Vitesse's don't have to be thirsty Roger...... you know the answer...... :tongue:

Hello Nick

PLEASE do not talk me into EFI for the Vitesse! she will not do high mileage as I prefer Spitty(until the low seat hight gets me!)

So a rebuild kit for the 16p's is best? I did see big red site so perhaps s/s pistons and new slaves on the back and change to silicon?(Spitty has been on it for X years with no problems!)

Roger

ps its amazing how these simple jobs escalate!

9 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Nick

PLEASE do not talk me into EFI for the Vitesse! she will not do high mileage as I prefer Spitty(until the low seat hight gets me!)

…...

you know you want to :)
The only down side is that it just works. You just it get in the car and it starts and runs and you don't have to spend every weekend fiddling with it ….

mike

I rebuilt the 16PB calipers (GT6 and Vitesse) with Girling stuff bought on the Triumph Shows. Works fine.

But I always sandblasted the calipers, split them (against all good advices) and got them plated. The inner seals are available from Canley. GT6 with "normal steel pistons". Vitesse with SS pistons from Moss. 

GT6 with DOT4 and Vitesse with DOT5

No problems. 

Martin

Hello All

I have bought a kit from Bid Red(I had forgotten I bought the ones for Spitty from them years ago!)

Ordered yesterday at 2pm here this morning at 9am and no p&p!

I went for the s/steel ones as they are only £5 a piston more expensive!

You are right Nick the dust covers are a Bar Steward to fit must have taken me a hour to do 1 caliper! But frightened of damaging a seal.

I am now thinking of making solid spacers for the wheel bearings as fitted to Spitty(I have some s/steel bar the right diameter and I have done a bit of measuring so is a simple job)if you have a lathe!

I have had a set on Spitty for 2 years and about 10,000 miles with no problems and no brake knock back

Roger

ps Why do simple jobs get complicated? or is it just ME?

The first dust cover always takes ages..... the second maybe a bit less.  By the 4th, you've got it cracked, but the job is done and the knack long forgotten by the next time!

Bearing spacers purely a luxury on a car that just potters about...…… complicate as you wish :P

Hello Nick

Bearing spacers purely a luxury on a car that just potters about...…… complicate as you wish

That sounds just like me!!!!

Still Boys and Toys plus the thought of saving money although I do not need them!

What's that bit of rubber o/ring between the caliper and upright? (It was all broken up so I just used a bit of silicon)I suppose it was to keep the water out of the bearing!

Roger

ps o/s stripped and cleaned and painted (It was Bl**y hot in the garage today) I wonder if the paint will dry? (Aldi's best metal paint)

Roger

Hello Nick 

You are right as usual(Smart A)

I have decide not to make the spacers (I keep finding other jobs to do!)

So I have made a rough drawing and will make a pair in the winter when I have nothing to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the Bond Minicar back tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!to fix in the heat at 6pm(I am a soft tough for a sob story!)

Still all suspension back together just brake pipes to bend and fit!(still light at the end of the tunnel or another bloody train coming through!)

Plus the modern played up (yeti) I think I may have left the ignition on so flattened the battery and now have a engine management light on?(it leaves the running light on when ignition is on!!!!!!!!!)

Roger

1 hour ago, rogerguzzi said:

flattened the battery and now have a engine management light on?

If the battery is weak or just partially discharged, the volt-drop at start up can cause all sorts of ECU confusion leading to warning lights and error codes.  It may resolve (light go out) after a bit once the battery has recovered and the ECU(s) have been through a number start cycles with no recurrence.  A stored code will probably remain.  A code reader and reset tool is a useful thing these days.....

Hello Nick

You are right yet again!!!!!

The Memsahib went out in it tonight and has reported back all lights are out(moderns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Make my EFI look simple as I can see what is going on (sometimes?)

We did a TSSC run not long ago and filled up with petrol yesterday and I think Spitty did 45+ mpg(no high speed running)and I can still see a few areas that run rich that could be tweaked!

I wish I could stop tinkering! Still better than Scubedo puzzles?

Roger

ps I think the Vitesse has had a lot of work done on it ! 6 branch manifold and SU,s electronic ignition etc(just bit rusty in places) But how long do I think I will live?

Plus it seems to rev freely!(I have a wedge of paper work must read though it to see what the engine spec is!)

The blue poly bushes were all shot!(cheap yellow ones in now!) its not going to do high mileage just the Memsahib shopping and posing in and old car!

The target is 2 weeks max to back on the road(no pressure then?) and she will love it warts and all(to many konkers cars now that are polished more than driven!) 

Small rant over(blame the Vino!)

Hello Nick

They are 1.5"

I have taken the anti roll bar off as bushes were shot but now I have cleaned it up I noticed there is a set in it (did not notice which way it was fitted!)

It is going back on but which way? Set up or down on O/S?

Roger

Hello Nick

I will not ask why as I do not have time to read 100's of post's

Bending brake pipes is a fiddle? Pity you can not buy them already bent!

Still 3 done only xxx more to do and fit new seals to the master cylinder and new slave cylinders(decided to change the lot while I am at it and go onto silicon fluid) Spitty seems happy on it for the last 8+ years

Roger

Hello All

Is it just me or do the little jobs just seem to get bigger and more of them?

I have rebuilt the suspension with all new bushes and track rod ends and top ball joint.

Rebuilt the calipers and bent and fitted some brake pipes.

Then this happened!!!!!

It is never going to be a Konkers car but the scuttle looked rough and the paint under the master cylinders was bubbling nicely!

So a good scrape and de grease and a coat of Galvafroid type paint and it looks a bit better? the gloss will be coach enamel as there was no way I was going to get every bit of paint off it(my life is too short for that!)

This will be a car like we all used to drive (sound ish  but a bit rough in places but useable and honest) and fun with out worrying about every stone chip etc.

Roger

DSC00355.JPG

DSC00356.JPG

DSC00357.JPG

59 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Careful...... on slippery slope to full resto!

Hello Nick

I think not to many other projects (but I do have another bonnet that is in very good condition just wants finishing!)

Plus the brand new one for Spitty(but with a Plastic GT6 hump in it!) but I do have steel hump(this is sounding rude)

Plus a Moggy traveller that needs new spring hangers welding on to the rear axle!

And do not start me on the Vintage motorcycles!

Roger

Hello All

Its getting worse(or I am?)

I thought I would look fitting the rear slave cylinders while I am waiting for the paint and roll bar bushes

Yes you have guessed now half the rear suspension is off as spring bush is Kn***ed and the others do not look to clever either!

Will it never end? plus some of the bolts are stuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the flexible pipes have not been changed to s/steel just the fronts!

I know this Rotoflex is supposed to be better but it is a B***r to work on compared to Spitty!

Those bloody trains keep coming through this tunnel!

Still keeps me off the streets  and the old grey matter going its just the old body that is struggling?(still off to give blood tomorrow if there is any left? it will be 118 times!)

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

Well some progress!

I will admit it is all hand painted but it is never going to be Konkers car just an honest one that we can use!

I pleased with the results(looks a touch better in photos!) but still better than rust etc!

I just have to work out how the bonnet fits with all those Mikey Mouse brackets etc!

Then carry on fighting the rear suspension(half out but spring eye sleeve putting up a good fight)

Roger

ps I moved the starter relay to next to battery I did not like it just above the starter and next to cabs! plus sorted out a few bodged electrical connections(proper crimps etc)

DSC00489.JPG

DSC00492.JPG

DSC00494.JPG