Which Gauges?

Currently the Vitesse has the standard set of gauges, with the original temp gauge replaced with a combination oil pressure water temp, possibly originating from a MG. I have added a console under the dash for a radio and 12v power supply for sat nav etc. Also created three 52mm holes with intention of adding additional gauges. I only want to add what is really useful, so first on the list was an AFR gauge, though may have to wait a while, a bit pricey. 2nd in line would be an oil temp gauge, then 3rd I was thinking of a Volt metre. Looking on eBay some of the unbranded gauges seem to be very good value compared to the known brands. Wondering if they would be worth a punt, really chip as chips, maybe the known brands are just overpriced, can't be a lot of material costs in a digital gauge?

So what your thoughts on  which gauges to add, and the cheap eBay gauges?

Thanks 

Mark

It was your Vitesse thread that got me thinking of oil temp gauge, something I've not considered, but after running the car I noticed how much more  heat there is under the bonnet with the 6-3-1 manifold. also the three secondaries running under the car, should be nice and cosy in the winter. 

Where did you fit the oil Temp sender? Was thinking of fitting a T off the oil pressure take off on the side of the block. 

Edited by Mark
Spelling

A t piece is not ideal as it isn't in the oil flow. If you have a spin-off filter, I believe the adaptor can be drilled and tapped. I used an adapter ring so my oil temp sender replaced the sump plug. But eventually decided I had enough of "worry" gauges. And Vacuum gauges are horrendously distracting, you end up constantly watching the thing. Likewise, the afr gauge can be a problem. Try to use one that is undistracting as possible, and forget it is there! Mine is too bright and numerical.bi must investigate how to turn the brightness right down.

Oil temp sensor is fitted in the main oil gallery between pump and filter in the gallery plug just above the relief valve. Functionally it’s a good location, practically is PITA if you have a spin on conversion. You need a short filter. Pic on page 3 of my Vitesse project thread.