Co-axial clutch slave cylinder

RogerH

Hi Folks,

I keep considering replacing my standard slave cylinder and fork arrangement on my TR4A with a fancy co-axial system.

There are many to choose from but i see Cambridge Motorsports do a dedicated kit. Not cheap but affordable

Has any body tried this or got any knowledge/experience  (good or bad) to pass on. for this kit or other udeas.

The reason for the change is that although my pedal pressure is reasonable for the TFR4A it is still quite an effort after a long distance of motorway driving.

Roger

I did research this quite extensively when considering options for my W58 conversion and then again when struggling with my PI.

Done right it’s a nice solution. Used on lots of moderns, going back quite a few years on Saab’s and Fords, though the slave cylinder arrangements tend to be rather applications specific.

IIRC Saab pattern is the most universal. Tipton and AP also make universal pattern ones.

https://tiltonracing.com/product-category/driveline/release-bearing/

You may find this TR Register thread interesting if you’ve not seen it already

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/68790-hydraulic-clutch-release-bearing-for-tr4a-tr6/

As a bolt-on solution the Cambridge one seems to be quite strong money, though more reasonable than Revington (for example).

May have to revisit the subject myself as something is not right with my W58 arrangement ......

I am in the middle midst of acquiring bits for my type 9 gearbox. Having considered an off the shelf kit, I think buying genuine OEM slave cylinder is a better idea. Turns out one conversion kit uses a (repro) model V6 slave, but I can get a genuine one for about £75. I had a lucky find on evilbay of a mounting plate for the alternative (Saab copy) slave, but it can easily be adapted with a simple spacer. At least that is the plan.

I suppose I am lucky in that my box has a few options already. But in simplest terms it is an adaptor to replace the nose piece inside the gearbox, machines to accept a CSC. Then spacers to suit, and a suitable CSC. Plenty out there...

HI Folks,

thanks for the replies. This is encouraging. 

I followed the TR Reg forum thread with a lot of interest. Marco is a fine engineer.

I shall investigate further but I am getting there.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Roger,

while it is neat from an engineering standpoint, seal life is a factor and should it wear out then it's a much bigger job to replace. Maybe being a larger diameter the seals will last longer but it's worth thinking about?

Alec

I am not really concerned about seal life. As long as proper OEM slave is used.

My BIL is just having a clutch done on his Mondeo. 13 years old, 130k. Slave never been bled/fluid changed etc, but the dmf has failed. 

Now, a cheap repro cylinder would be worrysome.

( I have an OEM ford slave on the way, £65 off evilbay, from a pukka ford dealer)