Wind deflectors for Spitfire

Nick B.

Hello

I am getting old and comfortable, so I need a wind deflector for my spitfiremk3

I have found this one in germanyy at a very reasonable price 

https://www.airax.de/de/windschotts/triumph/triumph-spitfire/3331/airax-windschott-fuer-triumph-spitfire?c=7307

Does this looks OK, or does the faculty of sideways have any opinions on wind deflectors?

Cheers

Nick

1 hour ago, Nick B. said:

Hello

I am getting old and comfortable, so I need a wind deflector for my spitfiremk3

I have found this one in germanyy at a very reasonable price 

https://www.airax.de/de/windschotts/triumph/triumph-spitfire/3331/airax-windschott-fuer-triumph-spitfire?c=7307

Does this looks OK, or does the faculty of sideways have any opinions on wind deflectors?

Cheers

Nick

Hello Nick

Wear a hat!

Roger

ps it will be heated seats next?(unless already fitted?)then a heated steering wheel? followed by a change to something German or Japanize!

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

they are for old guys (and girls)....... :ph34r: :tongue:

OK, I asked for it - I will get my coat....:biggrin:

Still, as long as I do 10CR with the original Mk3 bucketseats, I might still have a few bonuspoints left before I am told to leave sideways. The problem is I am having troubles talking to my navigator at speed due to the windnoise. Plus my navigator is having slight trouble reading the maps since her hair is blowing into her eyes.

So I am told to install a deflector, and would ask if any of yiu had experience on installing, and wheter some models are better than others. 

Cheers

Nick

1 hour ago, Nick B. said:

as long as I do 10CR with the original Mk3 bucketseats, I might still have a few bonuspoints left

Definitely! :biggrin:  Many bonus points in fact....... and we won't mention that I have MGF seats in my Vitesse......... (not heated though)

I can't make any useful comment on the deflector though as I have had no dealings with them at all.  However, with the Vitesse, we always have the windows right down if the hood is down as having the windows up makes the buffeting from behind much worse.   I'm sure a man of your talents could make a nice screen for well under € 99?

On my mkIV I have fitted a polycarbonate screen to the rollbar. Chose polycarbonate as it doesn't crack/splinter like acrylic, but is a bit softer so scratches easier. I intend filling in the small side sections soon, but the reality is the car is nicer to be in on a long journey. And yes. I am getting old. And the lady wife likes the screen.

I made one for about £5 years ago, similar shape to that you've listed but clear acrylic, slotted into a piece of U channel with a couple of bolts welded at each end and made the attachment bars out of two short bits of flat bar. I also know a couple of people who've done the 'attach to the rollbar' version with success as well.

Definitely makes the car a much nicer place to be, stopped the inside of the screen getting wet in the rain from the 'blowback drafts'. 

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. I chose the qiuck and dirty solution and simply bought a screen in germany. It will probably need to be modified at a later stage, as it is probably not really compatible with a mk3 spitfire (despite stating that in the add.)

It did work however, I pressure tested it by going 85mph in a really bad weather last night. I did not get rain in the nech, and the wind-noise were at a aceptable level. This does however mean that I am much closer to getting rid of the wheelbarrow exhaust, which is much to loud.

On the down side: It is not easy to put the top up and down. The nuts for detaching and attaching needs to be replaced by winged nuts to accomodate qiuck install. It takes up the luggagespace behind the seats. Brackets need modification to fit spit mk3.

A few pics here after testrun.

Cheers

Nick

IMG_3688.thumb.JPG.bf5c2a48dcbb8555e3e1f043773e22a4.JPGIMG_3687.thumb.JPG.777712a34088d7ce0519c4cb5f37835c.JPG

Edited by Nick B.
spelling

44 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Pretty severe test :biggrin:(nutter! :tongue:

I wondered about hood folding....... and suitability for anything other that MkIV / 1500.  I sure you can sort that though.

It had to be tested to expected conditions on the germen autobahn heading for the start of 10CR - there is a slight transit of 716 miles from where I live to the start at Charlesville. 

However - I did the last 10CR without putting the top up (except for the last day with torrental rain on the stretch into netherlands), so it should be fine :-)

Hood folding and more clever brackets must wait - I still hope to get the car megajolted prior to 10CR. 

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Nick B.